Manfred: If MiLB Players Get Raise, Teams will Be Folded

weams

I'm not arguing with the reasons people go play ball for $1000/month, just the post I was quoting that said a lot of players end up ahead of their non-athlete peers. I think 80+% of the guys on the Keys will earn less in baseball than whatever their buddies in HS did for a living during those years. But that's what they want to do. It's fine, up to the point where they're bumming rooms for a place to sleep and having trouble affording healthy food.

I don't define a cup of coffee as moderate success. My examples were Flaherty and Reimold. Guys who are up for a while but far from stars. I also never said a lot. Drungo, you read better than that.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's as simple as supply and demand. Try as you may, you'll likely not win Wimbelton.

If it were as simple as supply and demand then there would be no draft and the New York Yankees would always get the best prospects. Why have a draft at all if the rules of supply and demand are deemed infallible?

If it were as simple as supply and demand then there would be no draft and the New York Yankees would always get the best prospects. Why have a draft at all if the rules of supply and demand are deemed infallible?

So each team gets the fair distribution? MLB is the product, not the individual teams. Supply is far greater than the demand. 700 jobs in a multi billion industry.

Minimum wage is the wage per hour, right? We're not talking about the number of hours.

Absolutely right. You win. I was talking about them actually being able to live on the job. But again, it's like Little Theater.

Absolutely right. You win. I was talking about them actually being able to live on the job. But again, it's like Little Theater.

Actually, when I think about it. What they do is a lot like Gordo's job. Only they don't have union scale.

So each team gets the fair distribution? MLB is the product, not the individual teams. Supply is far greater than the demand. 700 jobs in a multi billion industry.

Well, in a less equitable and more libertarian era there was no draft, right? What the league and everyone believed was the best major league product was whatever the best team each club could afford to put on the field.

So the idea of fairness on the field kind of recapitulates fairness off the field. On the field fairness is represented by the draft and extra draft picks associated with free agency, etc. Off the field fairness is (in theory) defended by the Major League Player's Union and representing the players' interests. Do do the minor leaguers unionize? To the extent the law does not already represent their interests I suppose they'll either need to unionize or find something else to do.

Actually, when I think about it. What they do is a lot like Gordo's job. Only they don't have union scale.

Or like waiters and waitresses, except they at least -- unlike minor league players -- can expect to get tips! All the minor league players should probably form their own leagues -- then they can play for tips and be their own bosses :rolleyes:

Well, in a less equitable and more libertarian era there was no draft, right? What the league and everyone believed was the best major league product was whatever the best team each club could afford to put on the field.

So the idea of fairness on the field kind of recapitulates fairness off the field. On the field fairness is represented by the draft and extra draft picks associated with free agency, etc. Of the field fairness is (in theory) defended by the Major League Player's Union and representing their interests. Do do the minor leaguers unionize? To the extent the law does not already represent their interests I suppose they'll either need to unionize or find something else to do.

That's not the game for a long time. And it was not a libertarian time. It was an unregulated industry though. The money got too big and it is what it is.

Or like waiters and waitresses, except they at least -- unlike minor league players -- can expect to get tips! All the minor league players should probably form their own leagues -- then they can play for tips and be their own bosses :rolleyes:

Or busk on the corners. Play streetball for change.

I was going to say it's kind of like a paid internship, but after looking it up paid interns still in college make more than minimum wage.

I do see your post. And there are probably tens of thousands that could pay at the level that folks would pay a dollar or two to see play. No parking concessions though.

That's not the game for a long time. And it was not a libertarian time. It was an unregulated industry though. The money got too big and it is what it is.

It was or wasn't a libertarian time depending on which era you're talking about. MLB is still a bit of an "unregulated" industry because of the anti-trust exemption. And treating the players like crap for decades made the Players' Union what it is today: very powerful and greedy and ready to use litigation.

I don't either. I quit the union because I could get more work non union but non union theater touring is not unlike minor league ball in many ways . Travel, long hours. dancers are athletes and have to work out daily. Average saleries range from $250 a week to $600. Housing provided on the road, $25-$40 a day per diem.

A Disney character at Epcot gets paid below minimum wage? I doubt it.

I don't know about now but when they recruited a my college close to 30 years ago yeah you weren't getting paid anything. They provided living quarters but took that out of your pay. Me and my friend went to their recruitment and passed on being slave laborers.

Archived