August 2006 BA List of Cape Cod Top 30 Prospects

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/college/features/262305.html

I thought people would find this list very interesting. It's an AUgust 2006 list of the Top Prospects who played in the 2006 Cape Cod League.

It has Justin Smoak ranked #1, ahead of players like Matt Wieters (ranked #3) and others taken in the first round of the 2007 draft.

Also, check out who is listed at #23. A pretty good shortstop prospect named Buster Posey.

The more I research Justin Smoak, the more I like the Orioles taking him #4 overall.

He wasn't overly impressive with Team USA the following year. That's part of the reason his stock slipped.

I know. He started off really strong and then faded. Most scouts and GM's are willing to forget his summer with Team USA and still think very highly of him.

I know this thread was meant to discuss Smoak, but since Posey’s name was brought up… I didn’t know he used to be a highly sought after shortstop. According to the most recent Baseball America draft tracker, they list Posey ahead of Smoak at No. 4. Is he ranked that highly only because he’s currently catching or is he considered enough of a hitter to play short at the pro level?

I know this thread was meant to discuss Smoak, but since Posey’s name was brought up… I didn’t know he used to be a highly sought after shortstop. According to the most recent Baseball America draft tracker, they list Posey ahead of Smoak at No. 4. Is he ranked that highly only because he’s currently catching or is he considered enough of a hitter to play short at the pro level?

It's funny that people say he would have to move from the SS position because of his size and limited range. It had nothing to do with his hitting ability.

IMO, he is ranked #4 because he's catching. Would he be listed that high if he were still playing SS? Does his bat project well enough for him to be a premium prospect at other positions?

Clearly, he is a tremendous athlete. He also was a top pitching prospect coming out of high school.

I think if someone lands Smoak out of the Top 5 it will be great value.

Posey's bat should make him a top 10 guy if we wasn't catching. There's a case for top 5, but not top overall.

I agree with Smoak. Very similar to Matt LaPorta, who is now tearing it up for the Brewers.

I'm really starting to warm to the idea of drafting Smoak. I'd love to see him and Wieters, both big, strong switch-hitters in the middle of the lineup for the Orioles. Seeing that Smoak and Wieters played together during high school (summer ball) also adds to the intrigue.

I agree with Smoak. Very similar to Matt LaPorta, who is now tearing it up for the Brewers.

I'm really starting to warm to the idea of drafting Smoak. I'd love to see him and Wieters, both big, strong switch-hitters in the middle of the lineup for the Orioles. Seeing that Smoak and Wieters played together during high school (summer ball) also adds to the intrigue.

I'm with you here. I believe I will be disappointed if they don't draft Smoak if he's available (assuming Alvarez and Tim Beckham aren't). I'd be OK with Hosmer also.

No pitchers, please.

I wouldn't mind seeing them take Smoak, move him to LF (hopefully he could handle it), signing Teixeira, and then having 3 switch hitting studs back to back to back. If everyone got that excited for Tex and Jones hitting together, imagine what 3 of them with a switch hitting Roberts leading off could do :)

Smoak and Tex can DH/1B

I like Smoak alot...I would love to finally have a high power bat at 1st. The first Palmerio stint were great years.

You don't want to put a young player into a DH role. Veterans even have trouble with it, but it can stunt the development of younger players and you end up with one dimensional guys who when they get into a slump at the plate REALLY get into a funk. Look at Hafner now, and he was older than those guys are.

You don't want to put a young player into a DH role. Veterans even have trouble with it, but it can stunt the development of younger players and you end up with one dimensional guys who when they get into a slump at the plate REALLY get into a funk. Look at Hafner now, and he was older than those guys are.

Maybe, but Ortiz was pretty bad at 1b and really starting hitting once he switched to DH. Don't be mistaken, I generally agree with what you are saying.

Archived