Davis Talks Offseason After Frustrating Year (mlb.com)

Aristotelian

Wow, I can't remember a player being this hard on himself out in the open. I don't think he was wrong in his assessment, unfortunately.

https://amp.mlb.com/257008770-orioles-chris-davis-discusses-offseason-plans.amp.html

"I just feel like as a veteran player you have to be able to make an adjustment, and I did not do a good job of that this year on a day-to-day basis and it showed," said Davis, who entered Sunday's season finale batting .216 with 193 strikeouts in 127 games.

"It's been extremely frustrating for a number of reasons, but one of the main reasons being that I just feel like there were so many nights out there when I was just a name in the lineup. I didn't feel like I had contributed. Maybe defensively, but definitely not with my bat. And I look at the numbers now and the year as a whole and I feel like I'm a better player than that and I feel like these guys deserve a better product than what I've been giving them.

"There were times when I felt good and for whatever reason I wasn't able to consistently produce, and then there were times where I felt like it was kind of an uphill battle," Davis said. "And I think that's where you see a lot of the called third strikes. That bothers me. And anybody who's watched me play at all over the past few years knows I'm an aggressive hitter. I like to swing the bat. I think that's obvious. So, that in itself was inexcusable and it's extremely frustrating. But I think there are definitely mechanical things that I can do to give myself a better chance and ultimately at the end of the day that's all you can do."

Archived