Winter Meetings 2017

weams

12 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

I think you're setting your expectations a bit high. I'd be surprised if the Orioles did all those things this entire offseason, let alone during the winter meetings alone.

I think adding two starters is setting expectation too low.  The O's need at least 4 starters to be added. Some on minor league contracts or with options.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think adding two starters is setting expectation too low.  The O's need at least 4 starters to be added. Some on minor league contracts or with options.

Two starters means two real starters who are presumptively in the starting rotation.    Obviously they will sign other depth guys.    

33 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I think this is exactly right.  While the O's are not far from being what they were say in 2015, the league has improved significantly and so in option one above, I think it really is a long shot to make the playoffs with a wild card.  I think your second scenario may well be the best.  Defining moments for GM I think.... 

I don’t know if the league has improved significantly, but the Yankees have and the Red Sox aren’t going to disappear.     So winning the division would be very, very difficult.    Even winning the first wild card would be very difficult.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Two starters means two real starters who are presumptively in the starting rotation.    Obviously they will sign other depth guys.    

Two is probably not enough.   Castro has not pitched more than 80 innings per season in his career.   Ynoa  had a 5.25 ERA last year at AAA.   Wright is probably not a starter in the majors.  

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know if the league has improved significantly, but the Yankees have and the Red Sox aren’t going to disappear.     So winning the division would be very, very difficult.    Even winning the first wild card would be very difficult.   

Yankees are trying to help the O's out by signing Boone.  He has never managed a pitching staff to not wear it out.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Interesting comment.  Especially the trade two relievers.

They are not trading Givens or Castro.   Bleier and Hart have no trade value.  So you are saying the O's will trade two of Britton, Brach and/or O'Day.?    That will be tough to do and contend.  I could see them trading one.

Can't see them trading Manny and contending.

Signing two MLB starters.  Sure.  But which two.   Is it Chatwood and Vargas?  Or is it Gonzo and Fiers?

Sign a lefthand outfielder.  Yes I think they made re-sign Smith.

I don't need for them to contend in 2018. I need I want the team to become better team for years. If it takes a screwup in 2018 and they become better in the long haul then so be it.  If the Astros can do it then so can the O's. 

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I don't need for them to contend in 2018. I need I want the team to become better team for years. If it takes a screwup in 2018 and they become better in the long haul then so be it.  If the Astros can do it then so can the O's. 

I don't think the O's ownership and management is thinking that way.

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

If you want to do it the Astros' way, you have to tank it with three consecutive 100+loss seasons over a span of eight consecutive losing seasons. That's what you have to embrace if you want to do it the Astros' way.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

If you want to do it the Astros' way, you have to tank it with three consecutive 100+loss seasons over a span of eight consecutive losing seasons. That's what you have to embrace if you want to do it the Astros' way.

sorry: seven losing seasons in an eight-year span that included three consecutive 100-loss seasons

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

So here is a question for you.  Is Dan Duquette's back to the wall?   Does he have to move faster this off season?

Dan just had his first losing season as an Oriole.   He doesn't want to have two in a row.   Not with is contract expiring.  It will hurt his chances of extending  as O's VP of Ops as well as hurt him on the market.  He may still get a job but may not get the salary increase he very much wants.

So does that mean he has to get quality starters to have the O's win in 2018?  And does he have to act early in the off season to get them?  He probably has 40m to  spend plus the 12.5m he has from Trumbo's contract.   How soon do you see him signing  or trading for starters?

I doubt that Dan feels like his back is to the wall.

You might feel he needs to do all those things and do them in a hurry, but I doubt that the deck he's playing with is much different than the one he's had in previous years, except that it may be more limited because it's his last season with the O's. I  suspect Dan has a reverse-countdown clock counting down the days until he can leave Angelos' employ.

Archived