Richie Sexson to be released

Crazysilver03

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080617/SPORTS/623385744

Struggling first baseman Richie Sexson's time with the Seattle Mariners could end soon.

One day after general manager Bill Bavasi was fired, interim GM Lee Pelekoudas and club executives held meetings throughout the day Tuesday to set the course for the final 31/2 months of the season.

The plan is to release Sexson. Plant Johjima at 1B as Clement will be catching 60% of the games the way out.

Great plan by the new GM.

Release your 1B because of his .219/.295/.383/.678 line and replace him with a guy with a .224/.265./.299/.564 line. While leaving in your DH with the .210/.257/.319/.576 line.

Releasing Sexson probably isn't a terrible move, but he's a better hitter than Vidro. Why not release/bench Vidro, move Sexson/Johjima to DH and play Clement at C?

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20080617/SPORTS/623385744

The plan is to release Sexson. Plant Johjima at 1B as Clement will be catching 60% of the games the way out.

Unless I'm missing something, the article doesn't say anything about Johjima taking over at 1B. He's taken some grounders there, but that's about it. It says they're leaning towards calling up Bryan LaHair.

Great plan by the new GM.

Release your 1B because of his .219/.295/.383/.678 line and replace him with a guy with a .224/.265./.299/.564 line. While leaving in your DH with the .210/.257/.319/.576 line.

Releasing Sexson probably isn't a terrible move, but he's a better hitter than Vidro. Why not release/bench Vidro, move Sexson/Johjima to DH and play Clement at C?

Realistically they should release both Vidro and Sexson as they are both useless, but that assumes they have two players to replace them. I guess they don't.

As for why Sexson instead of Vidro, it's probably a clubhouse/fan reason. Sexson is pretty widely viewed as a bum by a lot of fans, and I don't think he's very popular in the clubhouse either.

The only problem with this I see is Vidro has a vesting option for 2009, so if he keeps playing the chances go up that it will vest. I wonder when it is supposed to vest? Cots doesn't say.

They just sent Balentien back to the minors. Have him DH if you let go of Vidro.

The trade for Vidro wasnt bad, as it didnt cost them anything (Chris Snelling) but giving him the contract they did and declaring him their starting DH was horrible.

Balentien was struggling mightily. The question is, is he better served trying to figure out his problems in AAA or in the majors? Only the Mariners can make that judgment for sure because they're the ones who see him everyday.

Dec 1, 2003: Traded by Brewers with Noochie Varner and Shane Nance to Diamondbacks for Jorge De La Rosa, Chris Capuano, Chad Moeller, Lyle Overbay, Craig Counsell and Junior Spivey.

How's that for selling high?!?

FWIW rumor has it they are also shopping Ichiro. They contacted the Rays, but were looking for David Price coming back and that didn't go very far.
Bwahahahahahahaha!

Vastly overpriced old OF (~ 4/$72M left) with low 700s OPS for the best pitching prospect in the game.

Ichiro should be shopped to a team like the Mets. They might have interest. They need an OF who can avoid getting hurt, can take on contract, would think Ichiro will increase revenues/marketing for them even though he won't, always wanna take away headlines from the Yankees, and might be willing to give up Fernando Martinez for him, even though I think that would be an awful trade.

Bwahahahahahahaha!

Vastly overpriced old OF (~ 4/$72M left) with low 700s OPS for the best pitching prospect in the game.

Ichiro should be shopped to a team like the Mets. They might have interest. They need an OF who can avoid getting hurt, can take on contract, would think Ichiro will increase revenues/marketing for them even though he won't, always wanna take away headlines from the Yankees, and might be willing to give up Fernando Martinez for him, even though I think that would be an awful trade.

I was thinking either of the NYC teams, both in terms of payroll and interest.

To be clear I think the Rays are actually pretty interested, but just not at their price. Cash would be coming to Tampa along with Ichiro, and there would be a lot less talent heading to Seattle. I do think the Rays will end up with a new RFer, but I still think Nady seems a lot more realistic.

Dec 1, 2003: Traded by Brewers with Noochie Varner and Shane Nance to Diamondbacks for Jorge De La Rosa, Chris Capuano, Chad Moeller, Lyle Overbay, Craig Counsell and Junior Spivey.

How's that for selling high?!?

Sexson went on to play a whopping 23 games for Arizona before going to Seattle via free agency. Arizona's compensation: Matt Torra

Archived