Funtional baseball training

OsEatAlEast

I'm not really sure where to put this. Mods can place it in another section if need be. But I always wanted to start a thread on baseball exercises or things that could be good. I know some of you guys still play so I'll post some videos that might help.

First up is the Indian club. These have been around for a long time. But they are usually only thought of for shoulder rehab. I don't see how these couldn't be good for baseball players. You're swinging a smaller version of a bat for one thing.

I just bought a pair of indian clubs and I can tell you it's a different kind of sore. There are so many fine motor skill muscles you'll use with them that you barely touch in traditional weightlifting workouts.

As with anything start out light and get the technique down first.

Barry Bonds had a unique exercise for hitting. He would stand at the plate with a glove on and catch the pitches as he tracked them. He said it was to train himself to catch the pitches on his bat. Looks like it worked pretty well for him.

3 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Barry Bonds had a unique exercise for hitting. He would stand at the plate with a glove on and catch the pitches as he tracked them. He said it was to train himself to catch the pitches on his bat. Looks like it worked pretty well for him.

That's actually a really good idea. I can see how that would be a great training exercise.

I'm playing in a baseball league this year for the first time in 20 years, (although I have played softball here and there.) so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

6 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I do remember seeing him do that. But I completely forgot about it. Interesting to say the least.

Lou Gehrig said that his major off season exercise was speed skating. I can see it actually working with all the core and leg muscles getting used.

8 minutes ago, Orsulak4Prez said:

That's actually a really good idea. I can see how that would be a great training exercise.

I'm playing in a baseball league this year for the first time in 20 years, (although I have played softball here and there.) so I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread.

I'll try to post new things at least once a week. Feel free to add ideas of your own also.

Forearm blaster

The guy in the video is right there is really no technical name for this thing. What he's wrong about is that his friend didn't invent it. It's been around for a long time.

I made one when I played about 27 years ago. From an old broom handle, weights like these, a nail and some rope. I put the nail halfway into the broomstick and tied the rope around the nail. Then looped the other end through the weights and tied it. I still have it and it hasn't broke yet.

Wind the rope on one side then let it down slowly. After that wind it the other direction and let it down slowly. Repeat as many times as you can. This burns when you do it but it really builds grip strength and forearm endurance.

Rice bucket

One exercise I didn't see was the one where you put you arm all the way in the bucket with your palm flat on the bottom. Turn your hand inward while keeping your palm flat then reverse it for as many reps as you can stand.

Archived