Time for Tim Melville to replace Tillman

wildcard

Has a 4-0 record with a 2.86 ERA at AAA Norfolk.   Started in 5 of his 6 appearance.   Has pitch 6 innings in three games and 5.1 in another.     Threw under 100 pitches on all  4  of those games.  .216 average against .  Less hits than innings pitched  24 hits in 28.1 IP.   22 K in 28.1 IP.    1.27 WHIP

Good pedigree:

Baseball America ranked Melville as the best high school player available in the 2008 Major League Baseball draft. Because of the commitment to UNC, Melville fell out of the first round in the draft. The Kansas City Royals selected him in the fourth round, with the 115th overall selection, and signed him to a contract with a $1.25 million signing bonus.[4]

Melville required Tommy John surgery in 2012. 

2017   AAA International League   4-3,  2.70  ERA,  11G, 10 S, 1 CG,   76.1 IP, 55 H,  64 K,  .199 avg against,  1.07 WHIP

He is ready for a promotion and worth a try.

DFA Tillman and offer him a spot in Norfolk or Bowie.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=543532#/career/R/pitching/2018/ALL

57 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Anything is better but Melville is just your flavor of the day. First it was David Hess. Now, Melville.  I have no problem with it.  I wouldn't expect much.  

I don't think I ever said Hess was ready.    Tony said bring him up and I said I didn't think he was ready. 

42 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My apologies. I thought it was you.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:58 AM,  Tony-OH said: 

I'd like to see them give Hess a shot. I still think he will end up a reliever, but I'll take him getting starts instead of Tillman or long relief instead of Wright.

IMO Tillman is improving.   His command was better in this last outing.  He went 5 innings and gave up 2 runs.  Then, of course, Buck had to push him to go 6 innings and the gave up 2 more runs.    

I don't think Hess is ready for a call up at this point.  Let him pitch at AAA for a while.

We'll probably get an idea of who DD and Buck think is "on deck" on Saturday.

If Tuesday is Bundy, Wednesday is Cashner, Thursday is Cobb and Friday is Gausman, that means they'll need two starters on Saturday.  Even if one of those is Tillman (please no), I don't think they'll throw a "bullpen game" for the other.  Could be a chance to give two minor league guys a good look.  

Archived