Question on Mountcastle

WarehouseChatter

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I really don't get this at all.

They rate his present fielding and throwing level ABOVE his current hit and game power level, then even them up later for the future.

I don’t have the same grades on him, but minor league present hit tools are almost always behind present glove tools. 

There are high school guys who are 50 defenders right now and most drafted HS players are at least present 40s. But there are maybe 1 or 2 present 30 hit tools in a high school class. Most are 20s or 25s. There is just such a learning curve involved in hitting MLB pitching. 

The 40 present hit means he thinks Mountcastle would hit about .240 in the majors at the time of the report. (I think about OBP too in my hit grades and shift up or down based on the players ability to take walks and having a profile that would induce walks). 

Also you rarely see any glove tools below 40 in the majors, but you see plenty of 30 hit tools (.220 BA). Chris Davis was arguably a 40 hit, 80 power guy when he signed that big contract. He’s a 20 now.

18 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I don’t have the same grades on him, but minor league present hit tools are almost always behind present glove tools. 

There are high school guys who are 50 defenders right now and most drafted HS players are at least present 40s. But there are maybe 1 or 2 present 30 hit tools in a high school class. Most are 20s or 25s. There is just such a learning curve involved in hitting MLB pitching. 

The 40 present hit means he thinks Mountcastle would hit about .240 in the majors at the time of the report. (I think about OBP too in my hit grades and shift up or down based on the players ability to take walks and having a profile that would induce walks). 

Also you rarely see any glove tools below 40 in the majors, but you see plenty of 30 hit tools (.220 BA). Chris Davis was arguably a 40 hit, 80 power guy when he signed that big contract. He’s a 20 now.

Thanks for clearing that up.

I just believe his hit tool is, and can continue to be, much better than his defense. Especially the arm, which is what had me confused.

13 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I really don't get this at all.

They rate his present fielding and throwing level ABOVE his current hit and game power level, then even them up later for the future.

I respect Adam, but I seriously disagree with his fielding and especially throwing assessment. I also have never spoken to one scout or one player development person who would agree with that assessment. Not sure if he saw him on a good day or what, but let's just say major league teams would consistently bunt on Mountcastle for hits and he would throw very few batters out on balls hit to his backhand unless they were absolutely smoked and the runner was slow.

• 2 months later...

Watched the short video of Mountcastle taking a few grounders at 3B on Roch's blog today, and was extremely disappointed with what I saw.  I had seen some videos in past years of his arm both at SS and 3B, and a few plays in ST, and his mechanics and arm strength were terrible.  However, I held out hope that the coaches could improve both.  Also, it seems we kept hearing from Steve and Roch that his arm strength had improved and wasn't as bad as some have said.  But now I see this video (I  do realize it's only two throws) but his mechanics and arm strength still look terrible.  It seems every throw I've seen him make in the past 3 years, his mechanics, arm slot, and footwork are different.  He was drafted 4 years ago; I think we may have to accept he's a 1B/DH only.  I really don't think his arm is even strong enough for LF.  

Archived