MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

Unfortunately it could be longer than that. From the Athletic article I posted earlier:

I think by next spring they are going to play no matter what.   At a certain point you will have had enough people who have had it to make the spread slow down.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Whomever that posted fake news about Cuomo saying that the NY would open in May.  Cuomo just extended shut-down until May 15th and said they would re-evaluate when they get closer to that date.

As for the people who keep saying that schools would open later than sports.  Here is the opening schedule in Switzerland. 

Berset said the first phase of the epidemic "is behind" Switzerland and the next steps will happen in three phases. First, on April 27, hospitals, health centers, dentists, physiotherapy and massage salons can receive non-urgent treatments again. Hairdressers, beauty and tattoo shops and gardening shops will also reopen.

Hookers are considered essential in Switzerland?

Cool.

11 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

Gotta love reading both extremes.

The ones who think this is a nothingburger hoax or the ones who think we should be shut down inevitably.

If they are really going to let people into movie theaters by July I don't see why you can't have limited fans spaced a good deal apart at a game

Things have inevitably been shut down.  Perhaps the word you’re looking for is indefinitely?  I haven’t seen anyone on here call for that.  

33 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

You can go through the necessary steps to have sports. It's having fans that is the question

Cinemark movie theaters are opening in July. No word If it will be limited spaced out. Are they crazy too?

I think the real issue is densely populated versus non-dense

You sure are mischaracterizing a lot of things in this thread.

To be clear, Cinemark says it hopes to reopen in July. It is not at all a done deal, and it will depend on the recommendations of health officials, etc., as the date gets closer. The same will be true of MLB, I'm sure.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cinemark-ceo-says-shuttered-theaters-may-reopen-july-1290366

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

So you're telling me that herd immunity is real now?

I never said it wasn’t.  I don’t think we will have herd immunity but like the flu when people like me who get flu shots greatly decreases the odds of people like you who don’t get flu shots getting the flu as it is harder for it to spread. 

What I find interesting is 100 years ago during the Spanish Flu that people didn’t even know viruses existed but they to wear masks and do social distancing and quarantines.  Yet these days people know exactly what is causing people to die they don’t want to take any precautions as simple as wearing a mask in public.  

16 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

To even put it out there probably means they are pretty sure it will be the start date

No, it doesn't. They put a date out there because they want to have something to plan for. That doesn't mean they have inside information about when the pandemic will have passed.

And Cinemark in July expects to slowly ramp up to eventual normalcy with releases like Christopher Nolan's Tenet on July 17. "We're not completely certain, but we're planning on anywhere from one to three months to light up that engine again," Zoradi said.

The CEO added Cinemark was planning for contingencies as U.S. state and local officials had not yet told the chain a July reopening was not possible, but neither had they confirmed that timing to reopen was available to them.

So at this point, they don't know either way whether it'll be safe to reopen July 1. It sounds like they're initially planning on that date because new movies will be coming out in mid-July, but obviously they might need to change their plans if health officials say it's not safe. As with everything else, it's just too early to tell.

22 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

Many scientists think COVID-19 is probably less deadly than the flu based on how infectious it is and how many asymptomatic/mild cases have gone unreported.

Food for thought

Many health officials say you can’t get pregnant if you do it in the shower.

2 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

No, it doesn't. They put a date out there because they want to have something to plan for. That doesn't mean they have inside information about when the pandemic will have passed.

So at this point, they don't know either way whether it'll be safe to reopen July 1. It sounds like they're initially planning on that date because new movies will be coming out in mid-July, but obviously they might need to change their plans if health officials say it's not safe. As with everything else, it's just too early to tell.

I think movie theaters will be in a world of hurt.  Really they have no clue if they will survive. Movies are about as non essential as you can get as you can just watch them at home. We just watched Trolls which was released straight to streaming.  if if some theaters open up in some parts of the country in summer I think studios might release directly to streaming as people going to theaters is going to be next to nothing even if open.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

Listening to the first half of coastocoastam tonight will be good.

First Half: Author and former New York Times reporter Alex Berenson challenges the current coronavirus narrative, citing concerns about closing entire sectors of the economy based on what may be faulty medical models.

Treating press releases by UFO cults as "the news" is always interesting.  Art Bell's show is fun, if you treat it like one of those giant mosquito movies on SyFy.  If you treat it the slightest bit seriously... that's concerning.

7 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

Yep, they would have mostly died of the flu or something else

You're tremendously concerned about models not being accurate, but perfectly okay with an completely unsupportable off-the-cuff statement that most COVID-19 deaths would have happened by some other cause anyway?  I guess it's just models that don't support your previously formed conclusions that are flawed.