All Star Game Hosts

TGO

There is an article on mlb.com about the Red Sox asking to host the 2012 All Star game because that year will be the 100th anniversary of Fenway Park. The Sox of course had the game in 1999, so I got to thinking about all the teams who should be ahead of them in line.

St. Louis hosts in 2009 and Anaheim in 2010. MLB is currently asking for applications for 2011, 12, and 13.

- Washington has a new park and the city hasn't hosted since 1969.

- The Mets will have a new park and after St. Louis takes its turn the Mets will be the only remaining team to only host the game once (1964).

- Tampa, Florida, and Arizona have never had the game.

- Minnesota will have a new park and last hosted in 1985.

- Oakland will have a new park and last hosted in 1987.

- Cincinnati's and San Diego's new parks have not hosted the game yet, and each city last hosted over 15 years ago (88 and 92). Philly's new stadium has not yet hosted, but Philly had the game in 1996.

- Then there are two teams that don't have new stadiums but haven't had the game for quite a while: Dodgers (1980), Royals (1973).

And there probably is a team or two out there that I'm forgetting. The Orioles should be ahead of Boston in line but behind all the teams above and such teams as the Cubs (1990) and Toronto (1991).

In short, Fenway should not get the game, anniversary or not.

My predictions for the venues:

2011 - Arizona

2012 - Minnesota

2013 - Washington or NY Mets

Of course, the teams have to want the game to get it, but I am working under the assumption that all of them would like to have it (though this is not necessarily true).

... The Mets will have a new park and after St. Louis takes its turn the Mets will be the only remaining team to only host the game once (1964).

The All Star Game was held in St. Louis in 1940, 1948, 1957, and 1966. Baseball Almanac The former Orioles (Browns) were the host in 1948, but the Cardinals were the host the other 3 times.

The Orioles have hosted the All Star game twice since moving to Baltimore, in 1958 and in 1993.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Distinctly remember having a debate with @DrungoHazewoodseveral years ago about McGriff’s candidacy. I wonder if he’s changed his tune. 
    • It's only 2 pages if you take out duplicate posts and unrelated to Gibson posts. It is decibel going to be a long offseason.  Haha
    • He's currently #12. If he collects the entire contract, he will be in the top 2-3. Verlander likely still beats him with this next contract, but I agree it's still close. My point is that ToR starters are wickedly expensive and if Grayson becomes one, as many have postulated he might, having him early in his career when he is cost contained and thoughtfully dispositioning him when he becomes expensive will have an enormous impact on the finances of the ball club. I think mores than Adley and Gunnar but I could be very wrong. 
    • I’m willing to wait and be patient until the end of the offseason. What choice do any of us really have? But if the Orioles plan is to “nickel and dime” Free Agents, go bargain bin shopping, rely on prospect growth, and convince fans they are still in a rebuild with a “limited budget”; I think this will tell me all I need to know. The first name may have changed with ownership, but the last name is still the same. If we don’t spend big now with this minuscule payroll when will we ever? If arb is going to be used as a reason to not spend on Free Agency will it get better when our younger players get more expensive through raises? My greatest hope is that the Orioles actually care about their fans and MORE IMPORTANTLY about winning a championship. I know to each his/her own, but I will never be able to get behind billions budgeting and pinching pennies to make more millions.
    • It’s a huge problem in our society today that if something gets said three times on Twitter, people will take it for a fact.  Let’s just wait until we have an authoritative report.   
    • Reveal show had detail it was in-person meeting today (so Kim Ng couldn't be working on her Orioles trades).    Chipper had a travel-cancelling illness, and was replaced by some old Diamondbacks exec the current HOF president could get on short notice. Congrats Crime Dog.    I either forgot or never knew the detail from Harold Reynolds after the announcement it was Kirby Puckett who bestowed the nickname on a Japan tour.
    • I believe Elias has more money to play with as the 30 million Bam money comes into play.   I look for a signing of Tailon, Bell, and back up catcher by Christmas. Mullins CF Rutschman  C Henderson 3B  Bell DH Santander RF Mountcastle 1B Hays/Stowers LF Westburg 2B Mateo SS        
  • Popular Contributors