Offseason target: Tyler Glasnow

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well that’s fine.  You don’t believe in the FO and existing talent as much  as I do.  That’s fine but that’s where the separation is.

I don't think you believe in the existing front office to conduct the moves you want to make.   I think you believe in you.

Just now, RZNJ said:

I don't think you believe in the existing front office to conduct the moves you want to make.   I think you believe in you.

Well, I can't do anything about it so that doesn't matter.

And yes, I do believe in the FO.  Just because I don't think they walk on water and aren't perfect doesn't mean I don't believe in them.

This team has a lot of talent, money and assets to trade and get better quickly.  I think Elias can pull that off and I think the players coming up can be good quickly.  Its really that simple.

But they can't do it alone and the team has got to start adding real outside talent to help them become better.

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, you say what if Gunnar becomes a beast.  Well the odds are that he won’t be as productive of a player as Chapman is this year, in a down year.  

And what if Chapman gets back to an MVP level with player and we do make the playoffs on 2023?  Will Gunnar becoming a beast bother  you then

ARe you upset we made the Miller/ERod deal?  

Sometimes trades just work out well for both sides

You were the one who brought up the what if he becomes a beast comment.   I was just commenting on that.

Even if Gunnar ends up being a beast for another franchise 

The odds are that Henderson won't become a beast.   The odds are also that Chapman won't get back to an MVP level AND help the Orioles make a wild card in 2023.   I know that Chapman won't help the Orioles after 2023.   Henderson?   Maybe.

But you're also trading someone like Stowers and a 3rd player.   In 2024, when you probably missed the playoffs in 2023 or lost in the first round, you're probably going to regret watching Stowers and Henderson playing for someone else for the next 5 years.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And yes, I do believe in the FO.  Just because I don't think they walk on water and aren't perfect doesn't mean I don't believe in them.

This team has a lot of talent, money and assets to trade and get better quickly.  I think Elias can pull that off and I think the players coming up can be good quickly.  Its really that simple.

But they can't do it alone and the team has got to start adding real outside talent to help them become better.

What does it mean that you believe in them?   So if they add some mid level FA pitchers and a low cost 3B next year but don't make any prospect for player trades, do you still believe in them?

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which players besides GRod and Rutschman do you think can come up and be good quickly?

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Which players besides GRod and Rutschman do you think can come up and be good quickly?

I think within 2 years, we have at least one legit IFer and 1 more legit OFer and 1 ok starter, not to mention Adley and GRod and what is already here.  That’s a very nice foundation imo and I think there could be more help than that depending on guys like Vavra and players like that.

18 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You were the one who brought up the what if he becomes a beast comment.   I was just commenting on that.

Even if Gunnar ends up being a beast for another franchise 

The odds are that Henderson won't become a beast.   The odds are also that Chapman won't get back to an MVP level AND help the Orioles make a wild card in 2023.   I know that Chapman won't help the Orioles after 2023.   Henderson?   Maybe.

But you're also trading someone like Stowers and a 3rd player.   In 2024, when you probably missed the playoffs in 2023 or lost in the first round, you're probably going to regret watching Stowers and Henderson playing for someone else for the next 5 years.

I just don’t believe in Stowers right now.  That may change but right now, I’m not expecting much.  

I would rather move him while his value is (likely) “high”.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think within 2 years, we have at least one legit IFer and 1 more legit OFer and 1 ok starter, not to mention Adley and GRod and what is already here.  That’s a very nice foundation imo and I think there could be more help than that depending on guys like Vavra and players like that.

Do you have anyone in mind.  Who do you see being the legit IF, the legit OF, and the 1 OK starter.   If you don't know then you may be trading away one or more of those guys.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I just don’t believe in Stowers right now.  That may change but right now, I’m not expecting much.  

I would rather move him while his value is (likely) “high”.

That's the thing with prospects.  You never know.   And while his value might be high right now, he's not going to get you a lot unless he's just a piece of a package.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you have anyone in mind.  Who do you see being the legit IF, the legit OF, and the 1 OK starter.   If you don't know then you may be trading away one or more of those guys.

If I had to guess…I would say Westburg, Cowser and Baumann.  Vavra could enter into the picture at second.

I also think we have some arms that could be in the pen very soon.

Kjerstad is the great unknown.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That's the thing with prospects.  You never know.   And while his value might be high right now, he's not going to get you a lot unless he's just a piece of a package.

Which is why I’m good with him being a piece in a package.

And yea, you can keep saying it but it doesn’t matter.  Sometimes guys develop..most of the time they don’t.  

Sitting around and waiting for them to have no value is a pretty poor move imo, especially at an area where you have depth.

Sometimes it may hurt you but that will always be the case.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

If I had to guess…I would say Westburg, Cowser and Baumann.  Vavra could enter into the picture at second.

I also think we have some arms that could be in the pen very soon.

Kjerstad is the great unknown.

Gotcha, but there is no guarantee any of those 3 are solid ML players.   I hope they all are.   It could be Cowser.  It could be Stowers.  It could be Neustrom.   It could be all 3, 2 of 3, 1 of 3, or none of them.   Odds are good that one or two become solid regulars.   While the odds certainly favor Cowser, I wouldn't bet the house that Cowser becomes a better ML player than Stowers.    There is strength in numbers.   If all of these guys were all in AA and AAA, I'd say it might be time to make some moves but neither Westburg or Cowser has even proven himself in AA at this point.   Baumann is big question mark.   I hope he succeeds but I wouldn't bank on it.   Give me Bradish, Baumann, a converted Tyler Wells, and I'll hope that one pans out.  Strength in numbers.   Thin out the herd and your are decreasing your chances.   

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which is why I’m good with him being a piece in a package.

And yea, you can keep saying it but it doesn’t matter.  Sometimes guys develop..most of the time they don’t.  

Sitting around and waiting for them to have no value is a pretty poor move imo, especially at an area where you have depth.

Sometimes it may hurt you but that will always be the case.  

Again, I have no problem dealing from depth when you have real depth.    I explained already what I mean by real depth.   We don't have it yet and this is not the time to be trading unknowns for short term gains.   Elias has done a good job of trading for unkowns like Deson, Bradish, DeLeon, and Pinto.  We should still be in that mode.   That doesn't preclude us from signing some better quality stop gaps next year and hoping the arrival of Rutschman, GRod, and to a lesser extent  Neustrom, Baumann, Bradish, starts to turn the tide.