Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same here, why should the Orioles have to overpay for a guy who grew up around this team. I will say this again because I honestly believe it. The Orioles are 2 seasons away from serious contention. 2011 looks to be a very good year for us. We have a few things in our favor that should be brought up.

Johnson

Albers

Scott

Sherrill

Ray

Sarfate

Wieters

Snyder

Arrieta

Reimold

Jones

Tillman

Matusz

Liz

Olson

That is 15 players that could easily be on the 2011 Orioles roster that could make under $30 Million as a group!

Let's say we get:

Sheets 4/50 $12.5 per

Markakis 7/91 $13 per

Teixeira 8/184 $23 per

Roberts 4/44 $11 per

Guthrie 4/32 $8 per

DH $10 per (Huff?)

3B $12 per (Snyder?)

That is now $91.5 + $30= $121.5 (I went high on every deal)

This team could easily operate on a $110 Million a year budget and be a playoff contender between 2011 and 2014.

So what you are saying is that Tex is the missing piece? The Frank Robinson of the 66-71 teams?

Seems like if 8/176-8/184 gets it done, the O's should be able to match and/or exceed his best offer.

I think the economy may have bit SB in the...

glad to see everyone is getting a bite of that big ole... sandwich.

Can't verify. Interesting that she waited to the end to bring it up. Mark is looking out for MLBPA, that's why he hired Boras as his agent. Of course he wants the highest offer, most Boras clients do. But...

It's a blog and she, admittingly, is offering an opinion and we all know... opinions are like... everyone's got one... especially yankee fans

I couldn't find an updated list of union reps, but this one is from 2006. Tex is on this list. It looks like Jay Gibbons was our rep back then. :scratchchinhmm:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060816&content_id=1612881

All I know is, we better not low-ball Tex, because if that's why we lose out on him, it's going to be all downhill for this club in 2009... I don't think the fans would be very understanding.

That's a really short-sighted view of things. We started out the year really well without Tex in 2008, and so far we've done a lot of great things to improve the makeup of the club for 2009. By getting rid of Payton, Millar, Hernandez and every shortstop flavor of the week, we've done some addition through subtraction. We're adding Izturis, Freel, Wieters later on, and bringing Ray back into the fold. We've also made some serious strides internationally by getting a rave review from Kawakami and his agent. Our bench will look 100x better than last years with Freel, a new catcher like Zaun, and likely Salazar, Reimold and/or Montanez. Once Tex goes to whatever team, we can focus on the pitching staff.

People need to step back and look at this club from time to time as if Tex never existed and get more excited about the small changes made that will put more W's on the scoreboard, and perhaps realize that Tex is a huge luxury and great Christmas gift, but in no way will this team be negatively affected by his abscence. That's like saying you're suffering because no one gave you a Ferrari for Christmas so you can get to work on time. The old 93 Cutlass needs repairs and isn't getting you many chicks, but we're saving the money for something nice in the future.

I couldn't find an updated list of union reps, but this one is from 2006. Tex is on this list. It looks like Jay Gibbons was our rep back then. :scratchchinhmm:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060816&content_id=1612881

Well that establishes that Tex is going for the high bid. He has to - he's union.

This is starting make some sense...

Any word from the insiders tonight?

Nothing tonight. Belkast won't post any more updates until Tex is signed and BB's guy is still saying we won't get him.

However there is a report out there that Tex could decide soon within the next couple of days, possibly even tomorrow night...

That's a really short-sighted view of things. We started out the year really well without Tex in 2008, and so far we've done a lot of great things to improve the makeup of the club for 2009. By getting rid of Payton, Millar, Hernandez and every shortstop flavor of the week, we've done some addition through subtraction. We're adding Izturis, Freel, Wieters later on, and bringing Ray back into the fold. We've also made some serious strides internationally by getting a rave review from Kawakami and his agent. Our bench will look 100x better than last years with Freel, a new catcher like Zaun, and likely Salazar, Reimold and/or Montanez. Once Tex goes to whatever team, we can focus on the pitching staff.

People need to step back and look at this club from time to time as if Tex never existed and get more excited about the small changes made that will put more W's on the scoreboard, and perhaps realize that Tex is a huge luxury and great Christmas gift, but in no way will this team be negatively affected by his abscence. That's like saying you're suffering because no one gave you a Ferrari for Christmas so you can get to work on time. The old 93 Cutlass needs repairs and isn't getting you many chicks, but we're saving the money for something nice in the future.

Excuse me, what's nicer than this? I thought THIS is what we were saving for... for three years? I thought THIS is why we put up with MASN figuring out how to be a TV station for a season... I thought THIS is why we stuck with Angelos through the DC team debate.

Nothing tonight. Belkast won't post any more updates until Tex is signed and BB's guy is still saying we won't get him.

However there is a report out there that Tex could decide soon within the next couple of days, possibly even tomorrow night...

Thanks for the update. I suspect we'll find out Monday, but I hope it's tomorrow.

Well that establishes that Tex is going for the high bid. He has to - he's union.

This is starting make some sense...

Did you see how the union turtled this week when they finally had to face Angelos in court after pushing it back for a major part of a decade?

You really think they would risk getting on his bad side by criticizing Teixeira for following his feelings and taking a lesser, but still insane, offer from Baltimore?

Excuse me, what's nicer than this? I thought THIS is what we were saving for... for three years? I thought THIS is why we put up with MASN figuring out how to be a TV station for a season... I thought THIS is why we stuck with Angelos through the DC team debate.

You think that all that happened because of Mark Teixeira. Really.

Basically....

Tex was about to sign with Boston.

Boston flew out to meet with him/finalize.

Something happened in that meeting that eliminated Boston from the running unless they remain the highest bidder.

If this is true that Tex was about to sign with Boston, then that throws a little water on this notion that the O's will get the last shot to match the high bid. Let's hope the O's up the offer at some point.

So what you are saying is that Tex is the missing piece? The Frank Robinson of the 66-71 teams?

Seems like if 8/176-8/184 gets it done, the O's should be able to match and/or exceed his best offer.

I think the economy may have bit SB in the...

glad to see everyone is getting a bite of that big ole... sandwich.

There are a lot of names on my list who haven't put on an Orioles jersey before. They are missing pieces too, but yes I do think that Teixeira is that important. Let me ask you this, would you take the following team come 2010.

Sheets

Matusz

Guthrie

Tillman

Arrieta

Roberts

Jones

Markakis

Teixeira

Wieters

Huff

Scott

Snyder

Izturis

Pen:

Ray

Sherrill

Liz

Johnson

Sarfate

Olson

Albers

Bench

Zaun

Reimold

?

?

Did you see how the union turtled this week when they finally had to face Angelos in court after pushing it back for a major part of a decade?

You really think they would risk getting on his bad side by criticizing Teixeira for following his feelings and taking a lesser, but still insane, offer from Baltimore?

No one, and I mean no one wants to face Angelos in court... that's his home turf!

Archived