Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

Figured it was time to start this thread.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081220&content_id=3724474&vkey=hotstove2008&fext=.jsp

New article...Tex should hopefully be deciding in a few days.

Recapping the way this is looking:

Orioles haven't upped offer because they are waiting until the largest contract is out...Once that occurs, the Orioles will then up their offer and then Tex must decide.

Offers we know of:

Boston: 8 years, 165-170

DC: 8/160

Ana: 8/160

O's: 7/150

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also...before people start going nuts:

Belkast isn't going to comment anymore until this is over.

Bigbird is still hearing no but as we have talked about, Bigbird seems to have a source in the FO, Belkast and Sonny close to ownership, thus the difference in info.

So, let's not solicit these guys unless they ask us to.

Just heard on XM radio that the Red Sox and Tex are are closing in on an aggreement and that they might be finished as early as tonight.

I wonder if they are saying this based on the idea that Gammons has said they are close and are just speculating about tonight being the night or if they are actually correct?

Also...before people start going nuts:

Belkast isn't going to comment anymore until this is over.

Bigbird is still hearing no but as we have talked about, Bigbird seems to have a source in the FO, Belkast and Sonny close to ownership, thus the difference in info.

So, let's not solicit these guys unless they ask us to.

I thought Peace was one of those "insiders"? :confused:

I wonder if they are saying this based on the idea that Gammons has said they are close and are just speculating about tonight being the night or if they are actually correct?

I'm not sure - the news came in a general recap right before they went into a new program. They didn't talk about it, they just said Red Sox and Tex clsoing in on an agreement that could be announced as early as tonight...

Boston: 8 years, 165-170

DC: 8/160

Ana: 8/160

O's: 7/150

I took a little time from posting after the first two threads, but...

If we stick with the idea that this weekend is going to be Teixeira's full decision weekend, then those contract offers we know of may not go up. The reality is, everyone wants to get him for cheap.

RedSox love premium talent, will pay for it, but not go overboard.

Angels would love Mark back, offer is pretty good, but will realize they won't be able to go higher if they want to focus on their other needs as well (i.e. possibly obtaining Fuentes and Ramirez)

The Nats, well, they seem to pick up everything we leave behind, and they have every chance to pick up something we want.

And us, the Orioles. If what we have heard is accurate, being able to top the final offer, then I have the full confidence that he is ours. If the Redsox remain at the 8/170 range and do not want to go any further, and the Nationals reach the 8/195 9/200, I think PGA will put that offer on the table and he comes here.

It would seem that the offers have had time to go up but GM's are trying to play it smart. The problem here is that by playing it smart, you are also allowing other teams to gain interest from the FA's waiting for Tex to sign. This keeps the idea of a Monday/Tuesday wrap up relevant. The basic point is that this thing needs to be done come Tuesday for those watching ever so closely and for the teams to begin the other discussions needed to complete the offseason.

Archived