Teixeira watch part IX....The final stages?

Sports Guy

If this is true that Tex was about to sign with Boston, then that throws a little water on this notion that the O's will get the last shot to match the high bid. Let's hope the O's up the offer at some point.

I can't confirm if that is true or not. We'll have to trust Belkast on that one.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are a lot of names on my list who haven't put on an Orioles jersey before. They are missing pieces too, but yes I do think that Teixeira is that important. Let me ask you this, would you take the following team come 2010.

Sheets

Matusz

Guthrie

Tillman

Arrieta

Roberts

Jones

Markakis

Teixeira

Wieters

Huff

Scott

Snyder

Izturis

Pen:

Ray

Sherrill

Liz

Johnson

Sarfate

Olson

Albers

Bench

Zaun

Reimold

?

?

Are you really asking me or just amusing us both by putting the whole list together?

That's a really short-sighted view of things. We started out the year really well without Tex in 2008, and so far we've done a lot of great things to improve the makeup of the club for 2009. By getting rid of Payton, Millar, Hernandez and every shortstop flavor of the week, we've done some addition through subtraction. We're adding Izturis, Freel, Wieters later on, and bringing Ray back into the fold. We've also made some serious strides internationally by getting a rave review from Kawakami and his agent. Our bench will look 100x better than last years with Freel, a new catcher like Zaun, and likely Salazar, Reimold and/or Montanez. Once Tex goes to whatever team, we can focus on the pitching staff.

People need to step back and look at this club from time to time as if Tex never existed and get more excited about the small changes made that will put more W's on the scoreboard, and perhaps realize that Tex is a huge luxury and great Christmas gift, but in no way will this team be negatively affected by his abscence. That's like saying you're suffering because no one gave you a Ferrari for Christmas so you can get to work on time. The old 93 Cutlass needs repairs and isn't getting you many chicks, but we're saving the money for something nice in the future.

Wieters is most likely NOT going to be brought up right away, Ray is a question mark in my mind until we actually see him pitch, Freel is going to be a majority bench player, Salazar Reimold/Montanez are unproven and unlikely to be with the club early, Izturis does nothing for us offensively, do I need to go on?

What I am trying to say is if we don't get Tex, and it's because we low-balled him, why the heck would anyone decent want to sign with us? Also, it's being speculated that Roberts would immediately go on the block, so yeah, I'd say all in all, not getting Tex will really put a damper on 2009

If this is true that Tex was about to sign with Boston, then that throws a little water on this notion that the O's will get the last shot to match the high bid. Let's hope the O's up the offer at some point.

Unless, the Orioles declined to up their bid before the Red Sox flew out. It would not be smart for the Orioles to pull out of the negotiations (even if they are not serious about them) as it would set a bad precedent with the fans. If the Orioles stay in it and Teixeira "decides" to play elsewhere, the Orioles are able to spin a story to say that they offered Mark a competitive salary, but his final decision was to play for a (insert word here).

Basically....

Tex was about to sign with Boston.

Boston flew out to meet with him/finalize.

Something happened in that meeting that eliminated Boston from the running unless they remain the highest bidder.

Tex wants to play for the Orioles so long as they offer a comparable salary, and not the lowest one which we have so far, but we haven't given indications of upping that offer.

Hopefully I'll hear something new tomorrow, because all I got today was conversation without new info.

The O's are not serious about getting Tex. It's a shame but it's true.

Thanks for the update. I suspect we'll find out Monday, but I hope it's tomorrow.

I've said that I think it's gonna be Monday. Tex is gonna be making his decisions and all that this weekend... Well, it's already Sunday, but you get the point. So it will be Monday. I think.

There are a lot of names on my list who haven't put on an Orioles jersey before. They are missing pieces too, but yes I do think that Teixeira is that important. Let me ask you this, would you take the following team come 2010.

Sheets

Matusz

Guthrie

Tillman

Arrieta

Roberts

Jones

Markakis

Teixeira

Wieters

Huff

Scott

Snyder

Izturis

Pen:

Ray

Sherrill

Liz

Johnson

Sarfate

Olson

Albers

Bench

Zaun

Reimold

?

?

What about Troy Patton? Let's not forget about him... he's supposedly gonna be in the rotation THIS season and was a big part of the Tejada trade. He could be another stud.

Unless, the Orioles declined to up their bid before the Red Sox flew out. It would not be smart for the Orioles to pull out of the negotiations (even if they are not serious about them) as it would set a bad precedent with the fans. If the Orioles stay in it and Teixeira "decides" to play elsewhere, the Orioles are able to spin a story to say that they offered Mark a competitive salary, but his final decision was to play for a (insert word here).

I think the organization, at this point, has figured out how the fans feel and what they will and will not accept as a good faith effort. i think a lot of season ticket plans and individual game ticket sales ride on what they do now as well as a few contract extensions.

Wieters is most likely NOT going to be brought up right away, Ray is a question mark in my mind until we actually see him pitch, Freel is going to be a majority bench player, Salazar Reimold/Montanez are unproven and unlikely to be with the club early, Izturis does nothing for us offensively, do I need to go on?

What I am trying to say is if we don't get Tex, and it's because we low-balled him, why the heck would anyone decent want to sign with us? Also, it's being speculated that Roberts would immediately go on the block, so yeah, I'd say all in all, not getting Tex will really put a damper on 2009

People need to throw the 2009 season out the window. What is there in 2010 or 2011? Those are the years that I will hold this team accountable. We have been horrible for 11 years in a row.

Are you really asking me or just amusing us both by putting the whole list together?

I am asking, in your opinion can that team compete in 2010-2011? I think the makeup is there for the O's to be very good. Cheap young talent allows you to sign expensive talent if it fits into the teams goals AND financial plan.

I can't confirm if that is true or not. We'll have to trust Belkast on that one.

Thanks. I think some people are putting to much emphasis on this we get the last shot idea. This is a bad (and potentially losing) strategy in my opinion. I'd prefer the O's to up the ante to see if they can't get this thing done.

Thanks. I think some people are putting to much emphasis on this we get the last shot idea. This is a bad (and potentially losing) strategy in my opinion. I'd prefer the O's to up the ante to see if they can't get this thing done.

Completely agree with it being a bad strategy. The potential to get burned is too high.

I've said that I think it's gonna be Monday. Tex is gonna be making his decisions and all that this weekend... Well, it's already Sunday, but you get the point. So it will be Monday. I think.

I doubt it.

I guarantee he wont make decision by Christmas. I read somewhere, that he wanted to make a decision by Christmas. (wanted and will are two different words and meanings.)

This will drag on for a few more weeks.

Money Talks, winning does too.

I wouldn't say they aren't serious per se. They simply are cheap. I would like to see a serious offer of at least 8/175 come out tomorrow. That will FINALLY get things moving in our favor.

Theme of the past decade. Thanks for the "informed" opinion on that. Have a good night. Hopefully this will end in 24 hours. Didn't Tejada sign on a Sunday afternoon?

Archived