The Shift is Being Banned - How Does This Help/Hurt the O's?

nvpacchi

I think this no shift rule may change the 2B position the most. It may be that range at 2B becomes a premium characteristic. I think this helps teams who have athletic middle infielders. Guys who get to more balls on the right side of the infield are likely to be more valuable especially if they have the arm strength to make plays up the middle and turn the DP. Essentially 2B becomes a much more important defensive position again.

2 hours ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

I think this no shift rule may change the 2B position the most. It may be that range at 2B becomes a premium characteristic. I think this helps teams who have athletic middle infielders. Guys who get to more balls on the right side of the infield are likely to be more valuable especially if they have the arm strength to make plays up the middle and turn the DP. Essentially 2B becomes a much more important defensive position again.

What has been the main impact of the shift on second basemen?  I think it's mostly that they play more up the middle, and make many more plays far from first, often deep backhanded plays.  Now they might revert to a more traditional position with less of a demand for those long throws and teams may get away from the Schoop, Odor types who profile more like third basemen.  Whether that makes them more or less defensively important, I'm not sure.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What has been the main impact of the shift on second basemen?  I think it's mostly that they play more up the middle, and make many more plays far from first, often deep backhanded plays.  Now they might revert to a more traditional position with less of a demand for those long throws and teams may get away from the Schoop, Odor types who profile more like third basemen.  Whether that makes them more or less defensively important, I'm not sure.

I see it a bit differently. In the shift for a LH hitter, the 2B is deep on the RF grass with the SS to his right, thus up the middle, so many of the 2B's throws are shorter. Also, they are deeper so this decreases the need for a quick first step. If they are playing up the middle in the RH hitter shift, yes the throw is a little longer. But not as difficult because they are already up the middle, not ranging from the traditional 2B position. So easier to set you feet and make a good throw as opposed to throwing back toward first while moving in the opposite direction.

I could be over stating this. Just my thoughts.