What do you think Joe Jordan's draft board looks like right now?

Seeing as how most of the "draft experts" don't have Green as high, do most of you think our current lack of minor league positional depth is clouding your judgment on Green just a bit? I don't think he's proven to be top 5 worthy and I'm hoping for another arm, so maybe I'm the one who's wrong.

I will admit that my judgment is a bit clouded due to the lack of depth in the system at SS. I know that isn't the best way to draft, but I can't help it. That is why it would be my preference to draft Green and have a SS prospect in the system, but I am not going to be too upset with any of the other players that we have a chance to grab.

Seeing as how most of the "draft experts" don't have Green as high, do most of you think our current lack of minor league positional depth is clouding your judgment on Green just a bit? I don't think he's proven to be top 5 worthy and I'm hoping for another arm, so maybe I'm the one who's wrong.

I've come to accept that Jon and I are on an island with Green (with regards to evaluators we've seen around -- including the "major evaluators" everyone here always quotes, like BA, PG, BP, Sickels, Law/Churchill, etc.)

We were vindicated somewhat when Callis recently came out of the blue to saw Green could be a gold glover (the first positive report on his defense I'd read this spring that wasn't written by Jon or myself).

Everything about his skillset says to me he's a valid target at 1:5. I like his athleticism, I like the core of his swing mechanics and feel a couple small ticks are to blame for an inconsistent year. The three times I've seen him, he has been attentive on the base paths and in the field. He shows a good understanding of the game and clean movements. I really think he can be a pretty impressive major league player at a valuable position.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind, and I'm sure this could be a case where I'm wrong (I love being wrong because I learn from it -- I won't continue to grow as an evaluator unless I can be wrong and learn what "problematic" issues in my mind actually aren't big deals and what "small" issues are actually more serious).

Blah blah blah, count me as (I guess) one of the last individuals still on the Green bandwagon.

Hmm... well, have there been any reports on who the O's have been scouting heavily as of late? :D

Everyone. Shelby Miller has had 40+ scouts at all of his last few starts. As have most of the top ranked guys. People always want to draw conclusions because they hear a certain team has a few scouts at some guys games, but this time of year, every team has scouts at every one of the projected top 10's games.

I've come to accept that Jon and I are on an island with Green (with regards to evaluators we've seen around -- including the "major evaluators" everyone here always quotes, like BA, PG, BP, Sickels, Law/Churchill, etc.)

We were vindicated somewhat when Callis recently came out of the blue to saw Green could be a gold glover (the first positive report on his defense I'd read this spring that wasn't written by Jon or myself).

Everything about his skillset says to me he's a valid target at 1:5. I like his athleticism, I like the core of his swing mechanics and feel a couple small ticks are to blame for an inconsistent year. The three times I've seen him, he has been attentive on the base paths and in the field. He shows a good understanding of the game and clean movements. I really think he can be a pretty impressive major league player at a valuable position.

I am not trying to change anyone's mind, and I'm sure this could be a case where I'm wrong (I love being wrong because I learn from it -- I won't continue to grow as an evaluator unless I can be wrong and learn what "problematic" issues in my mind actually aren't big deals and what "small" issues are actually more serious).

Blah blah blah, count me as (I guess) one of the last individuals still on the Green bandwagon.

I agree with you whole-heartedly, and still wish we get Green. He's in my personal top five, and has remained so. There's room enough on that island for us all... I hope. ;)

I have 'consensus' rankings, 'what I believe will happen' rankings, and then a 'how I personally rank them' rankings.

My personal top five are:

Strasburg

Ackley

Green

Crow

Matzek

I agree with you whole-heartedly, and still wish we get Green. He's in my personal top five, and has remained so. There's room enough on that island for us all... I hope. ;)

I have 'consensus' rankings, 'what I believe will happen' rankings, and then a 'how I personally rank them' rankings.

My personal top five are:

Strasburg

Ackley

Green

Crow

Matzek

Of course. I'm sure Grant and Scott wish said island was a little more crowded as it is...;)

Archived