Managers/Coaches... Why wear uniforms?

Greg Pappas

Anyone aware of the reasoning behind the wearing of uniforms in baseball by the coaching staff. In no other sport that I can think of, does the coaching staff/manager do this... a curiosity certainly.

I'd appreciate a history lesson if one is available. :) Does it have to do with player/managers?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The sneaky thing about O’Hearn is how many loud outs he made against the shift. With no infielders in RF, I am curious what he’ll do. Not saying he is going to be some kind of star, but perhaps a useful piece. 
    • Eh, it's an overpay, but I don't hate O'Hearn as a backup. There's enough there to suggest he may be helped by no shifts and his EV and hard hit %s are decent. I'm betting he could have waited for him to clear waivers, and signed him to a minor league/major league split contract. I think Elias really wants a left-handed hitting first baseman but he has Montcastle right now.
    • I have seen on conversations a lot of the high paid MLB players build their own facilities with all the 'tools'.  Driveline's expertise is the utilization of those tools, data analysis, and developing the training plans for their clients.  Players that utilize them often become coaches/trainers themselves if they can't reach the highest level.  Thus the 'driveline' culture and thoughts grow.  Of course, others out there also believe Driveline and similar programs to be the problem and not the cure.  Players ultimately buy into what/who they think will help them be better.  Internal or External to the team they play for. The MiLB clients at Driveline are likely the ones trying to improve themselves above and beyond the 'coaches and staff' of the major league minor league coaches.  Ones that have enough signing bonus and commitment to live in Seattle or Phoenix in the offseason.  Another facility in AZ is called PUSH PERFORMANCE.  The top facilities also have Physical therapists on staff.   Curious with changes in technology and scouting how many college kids that don't go to Cape Cod league would choose to develop somewhere like Driveline vs playing summer ball.  If they or their folks have the $ to invest.  Similar conversation to stick to the school/team staff or look outside to improve yourself. Likely two types of offseason programs.  Pitchers and Position Players.  After the season, just about everyone needs some time off.  Likely 3-4 weeks.  Use November and December to build muscle mass and strength.  Use January to take that new strength and apply it to improve speed/quickness.  Then 2-3 weeks start with the more precise swing timing, pitch location, with Live AB's etc.   I don't think players are using Spring Training to get ready for the season.  I think the off season is to get ready, build on it during Spring training (trying to stay healthy) in order to improve your level for the season.
    • Eastern shore MD is some of the cheapest water front property available in the US.  If he’s a country boy, as I imagine he is, he will like the area.  Imagine having a nice duck hunting lodge could be quite attractive, and as you mentioned a solid way to diversify.  Have to imagine Boras schools his clients on that. 
    • I haven’t had a chance to see Cowser play in person yet.  I agree Mayos talent is off the charts.  Size, arm Strength and raw power at his age  put him on a very elite bracket.  I’m pulling for him to put it all together.  He just makes me a little nervous to get too excited.  I’ll happily eat crow if he mashes and will be right there rooting for him.  
  • Popular Contributors