Anyone else pulling for the Phils?

markakis4pres

Went to the Phils/Braves game last night. It was a nice stadium, but no Camden Yards aesthetically. I went in sentimentally favoring the Phillies, but I couldn't bring myself to cheer for either side (except Mark Teixeira). The Phillies fans were pretty knowledgable, they all booed C.B. Bucknor when he was announced as the third base umpire. It was a fun game overall.

Where did you sit? The one Phillies game I went to was a few months ago and the fans were the least knowledgable I've ever encountered. Now granted I was with a group of nerdy, baseball-obsessed late 20's grad students and we were sitting in the student section, but it was awful. I nearly came to blows with a very drunk 18-ish year old girl in an obscenely short mini-skirt, strappy tank top and enough makeup and hairspray to kill 200 bunny rabbits who tried to attack me because she insisted I was in her seat when I wasn't. We ended up leaving the section and pouring beer on all our seats because we couldn't stand the crowd there anyway. Wierdly, it was the most heavily female crowd I've ever seen at a baseball game but none of them other than my friend Melissa and I knew a thing about baseball. Those not wearing pink Chase Utley shirts were dressed like prostitutes. I guess they thought the players would be coming out the the student section to look for skanks to bed down with for the night. Anyway, the Mets were already my NL team before that experience and I would never root for a team with Brett Myers on it, but that solidified my utter distaste for everything Phillies (although I sorta respect Rollins, Shane Victorino, and I guess Utley).

Also, the location of their ballpark couldn't possibly be much worse. There's nothing at all near it except other stadiums/arenas, surface parking lots, and warehouses. At least the end of the subway line gets out there, but it's one dreary place. If you're going to build a stadium in the middle of nowhere like that, you have no excuse for making it a tiny bandbox where every other fly ball goes over the fence.

So yeah I guess you could say Phillies makin me mad... or stupid good for nothing Mets makin me mad! :mad:

Where did you sit? The one Phillies game I went to was a few months ago and the fans were the least knowledgable I've ever encountered. Now granted I was with a group of nerdy, baseball-obsessed late 20's grad students and we were sitting in the student section, but it was awful.

It may have had something to do with the fact that we went with our college house, so ~1/2 of my section was made up of Penn students. I sat in section 303, which I think was called the terrace level or something, it was very high up.

Also, the location of their ballpark couldn't possibly be much worse. There's nothing at all near it except other stadiums/arenas, surface parking lots, and warehouses. At least the end of the subway line gets out there, but it's one dreary place. If you're going to build a stadium in the middle of nowhere like that, you have no excuse for making it a tiny bandbox where every other fly ball goes over the fence.

Oh, totally agreed. I was complaining about this to my friend from Oregon, and he said I just am biased toward Baltimore. The arenas out there in the middle of nowhere seemed more like airports considering the parking lots and where they were located. Of course, that made the traffic situation much easier, but it kind of cheapens the experience aesthetically for me. As for the open concourse, it's only wide open in the main level. Up top there really isn't a difference in most places. I also didn't like that there were ~48 different levels to the stadium that didn't easily connect.

I nearly came to blows with a very drunk 18-ish year old girl in an obscenely short mini-skirt, strappy tank top and enough makeup and hairspray to kill 200 bunny rabbits who tried to attack me because she insisted I was in her seat when I wasn't. We ended up leaving the section and pouring beer on all our seats because we couldn't stand the crowd there anyway. Wierdly, it was the most heavily female crowd I've ever seen at a baseball game but none of them other than my friend Melissa and I knew a thing about baseball. Those not wearing pink Chase Utley shirts were dressed like prostitutes. I guess they thought the players would be coming out the the student section to look for skanks to bed down with for the night. Anyway, the Mets were already my NL team before that experience and I would never root for a team with Brett Myers on it, but that solidified my utter distaste for everything Phillies (although I sorta respect Rollins, Shane Victorino, and I guess Utley).

I did see lots of pink Utley shirts. I didn't get a good random sample of Phillies fans, but no one harassed me even though I was in a Bedard shirt with O's shorts and hat, and I must say I was impressed that they booed C.B. Bucknor. Let's just say it would be a big improvement if O's games had that type of atmosphere (for the home team) any more.

Went to the Phils/Braves game last night. It was a nice stadium, but no Camden Yards aesthetically. I went in sentimentally favoring the Phillies, but I couldn't bring myself to cheer for either side (except Mark Teixeira). The Phillies fans were pretty knowledgable, they all booed C.B. Bucknor when he was announced as the third base umpire. It was a fun game overall.

Going tonight with the rooftop party tickets...they were cheap, so I got them. I have no idea where the "rooftop" is or what the party consists of, although it is Ladies Night. Unlike blueberry, I am very much intrigued as to how that will work at the ballpark;). Apparently the famous Ballgirls will be at this party deck tonight, so giddy up to that.

More importantly, Kyle Kendrick better come through with a good start against Smoltz, because if I'm going to have to wait til tomorrow to watch The Office, I better see a win. From what I've heard, the atmosphere at the ballpark has been electric the past couple nights, so I'm excited about tonight.

The Cit is a great facility in a horrible location. I've gone and bought standing room tickets several times now and just stood right behind home plate...can't complain about that. As far as ballparks I've been to and still exist (never been to Wrigley or Pac Bell), I'd put it behind Oriole Park and PNC Park in terms of the facility itself, and behind those two plus Yankee Stadium and Fenway in terms of the overall experience.

The Cit is a great facility in a horrible location. I've gone and bought standing room tickets several times now and just stood right behind home plate...can't complain about that. As far as ballparks I've been to and still exist (never been to Wrigley or Pac Bell), I'd put it behind Oriole Park and PNC Park in terms of the facility itself, and behind those two plus Yankee Stadium and Fenway in terms of the overall experience.

I'd rank them as follows:

OPACY

Fenway

Pac Bell

Philly

Yankee

Everywhere else

The Vet :D God, what a dump.

I have a feeling that PNC and/or Wrigley will be way up there once I finally go.

OPACY is still the best. Believe the hype.

I forgot to mention this story, but I thought it was incredible. Someone I know went to Thursday's game against the Braves and sat in the lower level. Someone in his section was a Braves fan, so the Phillies fans harassed him and threw peanuts at him. So the kid says, "Yeah, it was great. He was causing such a disturbance that they threw him out of the game!" I was like wait a second, they threw him out of the game because you were throwing things at him and being vulgar? He said, "Yeah, it was getting out of hand, and they couldn't throw out the whole section. After we cursed at him enough, he finally responded to someone 'screw you,' so the usher could throw him out."

OK, so I know that is pretty disgusting behavior from the Phils fans, but don't you think it would be great if there were some happy medium at OPACY and the ushers defended O's fans against MFY and Sux fans at least once in a while?

Archived