NCAAT discussion thread..Upsets? Seeding? Teams to watch?

Sports Guy

Well, that is debateable.

I'm not sure it's all that debatable.

Which 3 teams would you rather have in front of you?

(A) Cal/Purdue/Nova

(B) Texas/Wisconsin/WVU

© UNLV/Terps/OSU

(D) Gonzaga/Vandy/KST

Many think Cal shouldn't have even made the tourney. Purdue can't score points without Hummell. Nova has lost approximately 99 of their last 100 games because they refuse to play defense and/or rebound in the same game.

Kentucky has Texas and 2 stud teams in front of it. Kansas has a tough road as well. And I'd rather play Cal than Gonzaga, Purdue than Vandy, and Nova than K St.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure it's all that debatable.

Which 3 teams would you rather have in front of you?

(A) Cal/Purdue/Nova

(B) Texas/Wisconsin/WVU

© UNLV/Terps/OSU

(D) Gonzaga/Vandy/KST

Many think Cal shouldn't have even made the tourney. Purdue can't score points without Hummell. Nova has lost approximately 99 of their last 100 games because they refuse to play defense and/or rebound in the same game.

Kentucky has Texas and 2 stud teams in front of it. Kansas has a tough road as well. And I'd rather play Cal than Gonzaga, Purdue than Vandy, and Nova than K St.

First of all, Cal definitely should have been in the tourney and they were comfortably in.

I don't think Purdue is good but I think Louisville is better than UNLV or NIU and can certainly play with MD, Mich St, Wisconsin and Vandy. They haven't been consistent and that's why they are a 9 seed but they have a great coach and some good talent.

And KSt would be a preference for me.

Nova very well may get knocked out early...Hell, I hope they do...But if they make the elite 8, they will be better than they are entering the tourney and at that point, they are as good as anyone.

I'm really conflicted with Villanova. I think they're capable of winning the National Title, but I could also see them losing to Richmond. Hopefully the week off will do them wonders, and they'll be the team they were last year...I'm beginning to think they will. Stay tuned....

I'm really conflicted with Villanova. I think they're capable of winning the National Title, but I could also see them losing to Richmond. Hopefully the week off will do them wonders, and they'll be the team they were last year...I'm beginning to think they will. Stay tuned....

Exactly.

Nova is a weak 2 seed entering the tourney...IMO, they shouldn't be a 2 seed however, if they do get to that elite 8, they will all of a sudden be worthy and by that time, they will be as good as any team left in the tourney.

Yeah Nova is definitely the most polarizing team for me. I had them in the Final 4 yesterday, today I have them losing to Richmond.

I also absolutely cannot decide whether I think OSU or Georgetown will win their matchup for the right to lose to Kansas. I'm so torn that I'm considering picking Tennessee to beat G'Town just so I don't have to make a decision.

Yeah Nova is definitely the most polarizing team for me. I had them in the Final 4 yesterday, today I have them losing to Richmond.

I also absolutely cannot decide whether I think OSU or Georgetown will win their matchup for the right to lose to Kansas. I'm so torn that I'm considering picking Tennessee to beat G'Town just so I don't have to make a decision.

Earlier this year there was a "who do you like in the finals" thread..I said Villanova vs. Georgetown. I'm thinking I may just stay with that just so I can stop thinking about it..

Earlier this year there was a "who do you like in the finals" thread..I said Villanova vs. Georgetown. I'm thinking I may just stay with that just so I can stop thinking about it..
I'm also getting perilously close to going with BYU to the Final 4. Seems crazy, and I know K-State is very impressive, but I think BYU is a very good team. Haws' eye injury is troubling though, but it sounds like he may be able to go and be fine.

I get all these crazy ideas as noon Thursday approaches! I like both BYU and Butler as Final 4 sleepers in the West. Syracuse's two consecutive losses and the injury to Onuaku are major red flags to me, as is their very tough 2nd round potential matchup with Gonzaga.

I'm also getting perilously close to going with BYU to the Final 4. Seems crazy, and I know K-State is very impressive, but I think BYU is a very good team. Haws' eye injury is troubling though, but it sounds like he may be able to go and be fine.

I get all these crazy ideas as noon Thursday approaches! I like both BYU and Butler as Final 4 sleepers in the West. Syracuse's two consecutive losses and the injury to Onuaku are major red flags to me, as is their very tough 2nd round potential matchup with Gonzaga.

DUDE!! I have BYU in the Final Four...Beating Butler in the Elite 8

Georgetown

BYU

Texas (I know, I know)

Villanova

for now..

Georgetown

BYU

Texas (I know, I know)

Villanova

for now..

Haha I don't know if that encourages me or makes me realize that it was a terrible idea :)

Haha I don't know if that encourages me or makes me realize that it was a terrible idea :)

I'd go with that...

Honestly, everyone keeps talking about how it's "all chalk" this year, but using the conference tourneys as a barometer, I'd say it'll be just the opposite.

Georgetown

BYU

Texas (I know, I know)

Villanova

for now..

Georgetown- Maybe, though they threw up some stinkers this year. I'm starting to lean towards them over Oh St. I don't think they'll get by Kansas but certainly would have a chance. IMO, the best bet of all your final four teams.

BYU- Has no chance. Picking BYU is as bad as picking Wake last year. I don't think they'll get by Florida. Stay away!! IMO, if you don't like Kn St or Pitt in the bottom of that bracket, which is understandable, I would take Xavier or even Florida.

Texas- Could see them knocking off Kentucky. Very possible. I just don't think they can get through Kentucky, Temple, and WV. As inconsistant as they have been I think that task is too big. I can't bet on Barnes getting through 3 good teams in a row.

Nova- They just scare me with the way they've played down the stretch. I'm trying to think off hand of teams that have had this many hiccups down the stretch and were able to right themselves and make deep runs in the tourny. I don't doubt they are talented enough to do it, but I can't allow myself to be sitting here next week and saying to myself why did I take Nova to the Final Four.

Listening to Mike and Mike this morning, Gottlieb agreed with me.

Talked about Kansas only have to play one of those teams and that they got a good draw for them to the sweet 16 and elite 8. I totally agree.

A lot of talk about this conspiracy of how they gave Duke an easy bracket on purpose...Gottlieb talked this morning how the bracket itself isn't actually done by the committee...he said they put each team on the "line"(i ie, the 2 line) and then a computer actually generates the bracket itself...I had no idea that is how it worked. Now, can they manipulate that at all? I don't know but Gottlieb, who has been through the actual process, made it seem like it is totally random.

He also talked about how yes, Nova is a weak 2 seed and that they shouldn't be a 2 seed BUT that they are a very good team and could go deep in the tourney.

He also mentioned that Duke could be playing Texas A&M in Houston in the sweet 16...He didn't say it but same thing with Baylor and Nova and potentially Duke and Baylor as well. So, despite how easy it looks for Duke, its not the cake walk that so many want to make it out to be.

I think Duke will get to the final 4..Hell, I have them in the final game but that is because I have Nova and Kentucky losing...I do not think Duke would beat either of those teams if they played them.

Just filled out my bracket. I have Kansas and K-State in the Final Four, and I've had that each time I've gone through it. I vary wildly on how far I think BYU goes.

On the other side, I started off with New Mexico and Richmond in the Final Four. Then I calmed down. Now I have West Virginia and Baylor in.

Upsets in the first round I like: UTEP, Murray St, Old Dominion, New Mexico State, Washington.

I have Duke falling to A&M and Nova falling to Richmond.

Kansas bracket has three teams playing well enough to be legit Final Four teams..Ohio State and Georgetown are easily the best 2 and 3 seeds out there, and they're in the same bracket...Wow.

Yeah, if the brackets were different, I'd probably pick at least one of OSU or Georgetown to make the Final 4 along with Kansas. Yeah, it is absurd, and not just because of who Kansas has to play like SG says, but who Ohio St has to play. They had a case for a #1 seed, yet they have the toughest #1 and #3 seeds in their brackets.

Archived