Game 2: O's at Rays (8/14/10)

PrivateO

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could see that play developing as Bell fielded the ball. Good play on Upton's part.

I too only have radio....so what should Bell have done to keep this from happening?...if he had thrown it sooner or harder would it have made a difference?...or did Bell have the time to have quick faked a throw to second and then still throw the guy out at first?

Fast guy on first, fast guy at bat. Bell had to make a choice between holding the runner at second while getting no outs (a double play attempt wouldnt have gotten the out at second and likely would have given the batter enough time to reach first) or letting the runner advance and getting a sure out. No rookie mistake there, just a no win scenario.

Gau, mixed up my batters but it was still a fast runner.

Fast guy on first, fast guy at bat. Bell had to make a choice between holding the runner at second while getting no outs (a double play attempt wouldnt have gotten the out at second and likely would have given Crawford enough time to reach first) or letting the runner advance and getting a sure out. No rookie mistake there, just a no win scenario.

It wasn't Crawford running though was it?...Bartlett right?

Fast guy on first, fast guy at bat. Bell had to make a choice between holding the runner at second while getting no outs (a double play attempt wouldnt have gotten the out at second and likely would have given the batter enough time to reach first) or letting the runner advance and getting a sure out. No rookie mistake there, just a no win scenario.

Gau, mixed up my batters but it was still a fast runner.

Again, I am handicapped by not having visual of the play...but surely there must be some other option than just letting a fast guy go from first to third on a groundout....he wouldn't have had to throw to second to slow Upton down...a quick pump fake would have down the same thing...he just had to slow him down for a split second in order to keep him from making it to third..

It wasn't Crawford running though was it?...Bartlett right?

I had my batters transposed, yes, but Bartlett is still fast. Nothing changes about what happened, it was still a no win and he made the right decision to get the out.

Again, I am handicapped by not having visual of the play...but surely there must be some other option than just letting a fast guy go from first to third on a groundout....he wouldn't have had to throw to second to slow Upton down...a quick pump fake would have down the same thing...he just had to slow him down for a split second in order to keep him from making it to third..

or could even just a quick look by Bell at Upton have caused Upton to pause long enough...

Archived