Selig is open to playoff expansion.

sangar

I'm not utterly opposed to the idea, but something will have to be done about the length of the regular season if the playoffs are expanded in any way...and the 22 teams that don't go to the playoffs each year are likely to object to any potential change that cuts into their revenues.

Well gee, when it's something useful that the overwhelming majority of fans and media want to see like worthwhile instant replay, it's "Oh, maybe, we'll see at some point eventually."

But when it's something gratuitous at-best, damaging at-worst, and most likely an outright money grab like expanding the playoffs, it's "Sure, why the hell not!?!"

I want him gone soooooooo bad :cussing:

I'm not utterly opposed to the idea, but something will have to be done about the length of the regular season if the playoffs are expanded in any way...and the 22 teams that don't go to the playoffs each year are likely to object to any potential change that cuts into their revenues.

If they expanded the playoffs, there would be fewer than 22 teams not going to the playoffs.

I wouldn't want to expand the playoffs unless they changed the whole scope of the game, either going to four divisions with two wildcards or two divisions with four wild cards, which the latter is what I would prefer if it came down to it.

I would also be okay with it if it turned it into "minor-league-lite," meaning that all five or seven games are played in consecutive days.

I would also be okay with it if it turned it into "minor-league-lite," meaning that all five or seven games are played in consecutive days.

It should be that way anyway - there's a disproportionate number of off-days in the postseason. I'm not for postseason expansion unless it's division series from five games to seven; with a no-off-day schedule each series things will end more quickly anyway. There don't need to be more teams involved; the idea of having a greater proportion of teams just because other sports leagues do is moronic. "They've diluted. We should too! Hey, I didn't get a harumph outta that guy!"

Archived