Zrebiec: Bartlett and LaRoche are top targets

Os84

For those who may not have seen it, Zrebiec posted a new blog. He says that it looks like the O's top targets at SS and 1B are Jason Bartlett and Adam LaRoche, respectively.

We knew the O's were targeting Bartlett, but the interesting part is that LaRoche is the primary 1B target. Also, Izturis could be re-signed as a utility guy if Bartlett is acquired.

LINK

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those who may not have seen it, Zrebiec posted a new blog. He says that it looks like the O's top targets at SS and 1B are Jason Bartlett and Adam LaRoche, respectively.

We knew the O's were targeting Bartlett, but the interesting part is that LaRoche is the primary 1B target. Also, Izturis could be re-signed as a utility guy if Bartlett is acquired.

LINK

LaRoche is a guy I like, I would be happy if we landed him, but it is likely to take a two year deal. I would be happy to add Bartlett of her were a FA, but it all depends what we have to give up to get him.

This tells me 3 things:

1) Lee really doesn't want to come here

2) Pena is too expensive.

2) Hardy isn't available yet and if he is, the Twins want too much for him.

No way the Orioles believe Bartlett and LaRoche are better than Hardy and Lee.

This is pretty accurate.

I would be okay with LaRoche instead of Lee, but do not look forward to what the Orioles would have to give up to get Bartlett.

This tells me 3 things:

I'm in the minority that believes LaRoche is a better aquisition than Lee. Lee is 35 and coming off an injury. LaRoche puts up solid numbers every year and plays a good 1b.

I also like signing Izzy as a utility guy. I know a lot of people want no parts of him on this team, but his glove is above average and the utility role would suit him well.

Izzy is a bad choice for util inf if we carry a extra pitcher. He would be worthless to pinch hit.

This tells me 3 things:

1) Lee really doesn't want to come here 2) Pena is too expensive.2) Hardy isn't available yet and if he is, the Twins want too much for him.

Could also be a smoke screen for Lee and Pena - expressing to those guys that we are prepared to move on.

Agreed on LaRoche. I was hoping we could obtain him before the Reynolds deal, however I could see why they wouldn't want to go after him over some of the RH bats at 1B since we desperately need someone who could hit LH pitching. Now that we have Reynolds we just need to add the most effective 1B that get on base and plays pretty good defense.

A post here a few days ago compared LaRoche and Konerko's stats over the last 5 years and were very comparable. He would certainly be cheaper in terms of years and money that the other options out there...except maybe Pena who may just want a 1 yr deal to reset his market value. Go get him!

LaRoche is a guy I like, I would be happy if we landed him, but it is likely to take a two year deal. I would be happy to add Bartlett of her were a FA, but it all depends what we have to give up to get him.

I'd be very surprised if LaRoche settled for less than 3 years, and I could see him getting even more. I think he's a little underrated and I would be quite happy if the O's signed him for 3 years. My prediction is that somebody signs him for 3/24-30. I hope it's the Orioles on the low end.

Bartlett. Meh.

This tells me 3 things:

I agree with #1 & #3 completely, I don't necessarily agree with #2, as I think the O's are going to shy away from Pena with Reynolds at 3B (not saying they should, just think they will).

Archived