Bob Feller moved to hospice care

ChaosLex

What a shame. He was interviewed during an Orioles boradcast 1-2 years ago and I could not believe how mentally sharp he was. He was talking about things that happened in the 1940's as if they happened yesterday. He was a hero to my mom and dad, who grew up nearby in Akron.

Oh man. That stinks to hear. Never got to see him pitch obviously but I'm a student of baseball history and know how great he was. He was the first major MLB star I believe to enlist after Pearl Harbor and he I believe served in combat too.

Yes he was, and he did, on the battleship USS Alabama. After participating in a diversionary tactic near Norway, the Alabama went to the Pacific theater and saw quite a bit of action supporting both Marine landings and air strikes (quite successfully too--"The Lucky A" was never once damaged by enemy fire and her only casualties occurred in a friendly fire accident).

I had the opportunity to meet Bob Feller 22 years ago at the Apple Blossom Festival (They used to get fantastic sports guests). I was 10 years old and he told me I could make it to the majors if I kept practicing. That was one of my better childhood memories. He was also one of my grandfather's all time favorites and he would tell me stories of watching Feller pitch in Washington...also some of my better childhood memories.

Archived