Referees Favoring the Favorites

OFFNY

I always find it funny that Duke fans will always concede a game was "poorly officiated" but never admit they got more than their fair share of calls. Actually, I do know a Duke fan that admits it and rubs it in peoples faces. But I'd rather have that than the complete denial you here form most of their fans.

Props to the OP for being a UNC fan and having the sack to acknowldedge the biased officiating, even though you're a fan of one of the "big boys".

We play Clemson this afternoon. I really hope that the Tigers don't get screwed if the game is close, like the several examples that I cited (Northwestern/Ohio State, Rutgers/St. John's, Maryland/Duke). If Clemson outplays the Heels, they deserve not to be shat on by the refs.

I always find it funny that Duke fans will always concede a game was "poorly officiated" but never admit they got more than their fair share of calls. Actually, I do know a Duke fan that admits it and rubs it in peoples faces. But I'd rather have that than the complete denial you here form most of their fans.

Props to the OP for being a UNC fan and having the sack to adknowldedge the biased officiating even though you're a fan of one of the "big boys".

Duke will get calls at times..that happens with all great teams and players. My issue is with the whiny uneducated fans who think everything is a foul or that there team loses because of the refs...Bterp is a perfect example of that.

I watched it again. He stepped out twice. Very poor call considering the positioning of the ref, he was in proper position to make the call.

I would have to see it again. What I saw was someone very close to stepping out but not stepping out.

It was never blown up or put in slow motion to really tell for 100%.

Either way, it wasn't an obvious call when you are at game speed.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just how many fouls they call, but when they call the fouls. Some times are more crucial than others.

Today, Marquette was down by 33 points. They valiantly fought back to cut it to 14 points with more than 4 minutes to play. Marquette had just scored 5 quick points. North Carolina looked flustered, and they turned the ball over for the second consecutive possession ........ until the ref bailed them out, and made a questionable call against Marquette. Instead of having the ball down 14 with a chance to cut it to 12 or 11, North Carolina went to the free throw line to up the lead to 16.

Would North Carolina have won the game anyway ??? Probably. But .......... whatever slim chance that Marquette had was probably snuffed out right there. Marquette deserved better. :(

Duke could have used a few of those calls.

Seriously...what?

I'm not saying that EVERY GAME there is a conspiracy against the little teams. I'm saying that more often than not, the heavy favorites get questionable calls, particularly at crucial times.

I'm not saying that EVERY GAME there is a conspiracy against the little teams. I'm saying that more often than not, the heavy favorites get questionable calls, particularly at crucial times.

How long have you been watching sports?

This has been true since the beginning of time.

How long have you been watching sports?

This has been true since the beginning of time.

I've seen games that are well officiated, and games that haven't been. The late Earl Strom was a great NBA referee that had a repuation for defying the home team and the favorites, and calling the game just as he saw it. Unfortunatley, refs like Strom are/were in the minority. I'm pointing out the ones that I see as unfair. If you don't like it, too bad.

I've seen games that are well officiated, and games that haven't been. The late Earl Strom was a great NBA referee that had a repuation for defying the home team and the favorites, and calling the game just as he saw it. Unfortunatley, refs like Strom are/were in the minority. I'm pointing out the ones that I see as unfair. If you don't like it, too bad.

So, you bring up one ref as an example?

Calls are blown in every single game, in every single sport, every single day.

Whether it is rec league, HS, minors, college or pro. It is the nature of the game(s).

Great teams, great programs and great players will get the benefit of these things. You may not like it but if you are going to cry about it, you should just stop watching sports. It will NEVER change. It is what it is.

The MD fans whine on here all the time about it. But if they had a program that was elite and got these calls, most wouldn't cry about it. They would love it.

This is what happens when you build reputations.

So, you bring up one ref as an example?

Calls are blown in every single game, in every single sport, every single day.

Whether it is rec league, HS, minors, college or pro. It is the nature of the game(s).

Great teams, great programs and great players will get the benefit of these things. You may not like it but if you are going to cry about it, you should just stop watching sports. It will NEVER change. It is what it is.

The MD fans whine on here all the time about it. But if they had a program that was elite and got these calls, most wouldn't cry about it. They would love it.

This is what happens when you build reputations.

And if Duke was the non-elite program, you'd whine like a little you-know-what, so let's not go down that road.

And if Duke was the non-elite program, you'd whine like a little you-know-what, so let's not go down that road.

Not really....I am not one of those that cries about the Yankees and Sox getting the calls against the Orioles.

The problem with yourself and many other fans is that you don't know what a foul is...I do.

You guys will sit there and cry when even the announcers are describing why it was the obvious call, yet here comes the Terp fan, complaining.

Its more about how educated are you about what you are watching.

Also, MD sports fans in general feel everyone is out to get them.

Archived