Second round pick

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are we looking at in terms of high ceiling college bats that are likely to be available in the second round...I am thinking CIers and OFers.

Cody Asche (3b/1b, Univ. of Nebraska), Alex Dickerson (lf/1b, Indiana Univ.), Preston Tucker (of/1b, Univ. of Florida), Matt Skole (3b/1b, Georgia Tech), Aaron Westlake (of/1b, Vandy), B.A. Vollmuth (ss/3b, Baylor). I think you can defend those as 2nd round picks, though I think a number (maybe most) of them will be available in the 3rd.

What about Jason Esposito, the Vanderbilt 3B? I see he's rated at #41 on the BA list.

I assume he will be off the board in the sandwich round. I personally think he will have issues with the bat at the next level.

Cody Asche (3b/1b, Univ. of Nebraska), Alex Dickerson (lf/1b, Indiana Univ.), Preston Tucker (of/1b, Univ. of Florida), Matt Skole (3b/1b, Georgia Tech), Aaron Westlake (of/1b, Vandy), B.A. Vollmuth (ss/3b, Baylor). I think you can defend those as 2nd round picks, though I think a number (maybe most) of them will be available in the 3rd.

What do the boards generally look like in that range if these guys might get pushed to 3? More pitchers? More high schoolers?

What do the boards generally look like in that range if these guys might get pushed to 3? More pitchers? More high schoolers?

Lots and lots of pitching. It would not be entirely shocking if something like 40 of the first 60 players selected are pitchers. Will depend on how signable some of the prep arms are. There are a silly amount of college arms this year, as well.

Do I read this correctly in saying you feel that these guys would be reaches in the second round?

Does that mean you think they should be looking pitcher or HS position player in R2?

Do I read this correctly in saying you feel that these guys would be reaches in the second round?

Does that mean you think they should be looking pitcher or HS position player in R2?

I think this draft is deep enough to still think BPA at the top of the second round. You can skew position/pitcher or college/HS all things being close to equal, but there's talent available at pick 60 that would be first round talent in other classes.

That said, the majority of the top 60-80 players on the board are pitchers, with a lean toward college arms. What's left depends on what impact that has on early selections. If the picks are fairly evenly distributed between the four general sectors, there will be plenty of good arms to choose from. But, if organizations see the pitching strength and gobble up most of the top arms in the first round, there may be some overlooked bats available.

At that point, you've got to look at the talent left on the board and pick who you think is the best player IMO.

I think this draft is deep enough to still think BPA at the top of the second round. You can skew position/pitcher or college/HS all things being close to equal, but there's talent available at pick 60 that would be first round talent in other classes.

Yea, I am all for BPA....But it seems to me, according to what Stotle said, that the BPA will likely NOT be a college position player?(at least at CI and OF)

I'd be quite pleased with a Dickerson or Skole in the second round of any draft, though there might be some more enticing arms available at the selection this year.

Yea, I am all for BPA....But it seems to me, according to what Stotle said, that the BPA will likely NOT be a college position player?(at least at CI and OF)

Probably not, though there will likely be several guys who could justify the pick in my opinion.

I'd be quite pleased with a Dickerson or Skole in the second round of any draft, though there might be some more enticing arms available at the selection this year.

Looking forward to seeing Skole tonight and tomorrow. I am not sure he sticks at third, and his swing isn't exactly geared for lift from what I remember from the GT/MD series last year. If he has to shift to 1b, that will put some pressure on the power. But I think he is one of the better pure college hitters this year. I would prefer not to go Dickerson. I think best available in the 2nd is most likely an arm or a prep ss/of/c, so I imagine that is who I'd end up pulling the trigger on come June.

Obviously I can't see into the future. But my best guess, looking at the draft board, is that the BPA will not be one of these guys I listed -- at least not on my board. I know there are some orgs that are still high on DIckerson (I think that number has decreased a fair amount over the last year). I think some of these guys would be fits in the back half of the 2nd Rd, too. But at the top of the round, I think we'll see some lights-out arms still available -- mid-rotation type arms -- and that would probably be my preference.

Obviously I can't see into the future. But my best guess, looking at the draft board, is that the BPA will not be one of these guys I listed -- at least not on my board. I know there are some orgs that are still high on DIckerson (I think that number has decreased a fair amount over the last year). I think some of these guys would be fits in the back half of the 2nd Rd, too. But at the top of the round, I think we'll see some lights-out arms still available -- mid-rotation type arms -- and that would probably be my preference.

If its possible to get a an impact college arm who could move fast through the system in the 2nd round, does increase the likelihood of taking a shot at Starling in the 1st?

Archived