Callis Q&A on draft, Givens

http://ht.ly/4WBIv

The first few questions are draft related but then he takes one on pitchers/position players switching roles and that is where Givens come up.

Givens only has 212 pro at-bats, so it's early to read too much into his .231/.322/.316 career line. However, I bet his future will be on the mound. When he came out of high school as a second-rounder in 2009, Givens had impressive raw tools as a two-way player, but few refined skills. I think it's a lot easier to polish up a pitcher than a hitter, and Givens since has been passed by Manny Machado and Jonathan Schoop on Baltimore's middle-infield depth chart.

Stotle, can you refresh my memory about scouting reports on Givens when he was drafted and what the consensus was in regards to potential future success as a MI vs pitcher? Thanks.

I liked him as a future reliever. I have spoken with Law about him -- he also liked him as a reliever. I don't remember what BA listed as his likely position, but I think he was somewhere around the 50th overall prospect for them that year?

I liked him as a future reliever. I have spoken with Law about him -- he also liked him as a reliever. I don't remember what BA listed as his likely position, but I think he was somewhere around the 50th overall prospect for them that year?

Just curious how long you'd go with him as a MI prospect before possibly appraoching him about a switch back to the mound? I realize he's had a few injuries that may have held him back in the past.

Just curious how long you'd go with him as a MI prospect before possibly appraoching him about a switch back to the mound? I realize he's had a few injuries that may have held him back in the past.

It depends on if you believe in him as a middle-infielder. You keep him there as long as you believe. I probably would have had him throwing immediately, but I also wouldn't have selected him in the 2nd if I planned to use him as a reliever. BAL should stick with him until he gives them reason to reassess their thinking. I don't think there are magic numbers -- just keeping plugging away. I assume he'll get a fair amount of rope.

Archived