Draft prospects in the Baltimore area?

As someone who has played and follows high school baseball in the area, particularly the miaa, I am curious to get Stotle's insight on some of the star hitters in the league this year like AJ Lardo of Loyola, Matt Bosse of Calvert Hall, and KJ Hockaday of John Carroll (who recently broke Teixeira's miaa home run record) all of whom will be attending Maryland next year. Bobby Ruse of C.Milton Wright is also going to Maryland next year.

Having played against Hockaday numerous times, he is with out a doubt, one of best high school players in the area I have seen. Yet, I haven't heard much draft buzz about him. Does he have a chance to go high in the draft? He plays SS but probably projects as a 3B or LF in my opinion in pro ball.

Also, I recently saw Austin Urban, the kid we drafted in the 27th round last year pop up on PG's top 100 juco prospects list at 41. I also understand he will be playing for the Youse's Orioles this summer in the Cal Ripken league so I'm guessing the O's will be lookin at signing him this time around if they end up drafting him.

As someone who has played and follows high school baseball in the area, particularly the miaa, I am curious to get Stotle's insight on some of the star hitters in the league this year like AJ Lardo of Loyola, Matt Bosse of Calvert Hall, and KJ Hockaday of John Carroll (who recently broke Teixeira's miaa home run record) all of whom will be attending Maryland next year. Bobby Ruse of C.Milton Wright is also going to Maryland next year.

Having played against Hockaday numerous times, he is with out a doubt, one of best high school players in the area I have seen. Yet, I haven't heard much draft buzz about him. Does he have a chance to go high in the draft? He plays SS but probably projects as a 3B or LF in my opinion in pro ball.

Also, I recently saw Austin Urban, the kid we drafted in the 27th round last year pop up on PG's top 100 juco prospects list at 41. I also understand he will be playing for the Youse's Orioles this summer in the Cal Ripken league so I'm guessing the O's will be lookin at signing him this time around if they end up drafting him.

Slade, do you have any insight as to which of these 4 players would be more interested in making the jump to pro ball versus their commitment to UMD? I know that is very hard to predict, especially before knowing what kind of offers, if any, they receive, but figured I'd ask in case you had any info.

I have seen Ruse play, but haven't seen any of the other guys. I do some media work covering UMD recruiting on occassion, so if you care to add your thoughts on the MIAA guys listed, I would certainly be interested in your opinion.

Slade, do you have any insight as to which of these 4 players would be more interested in making the jump to pro ball versus their commitment to UMD? I know that is very hard to predict, especially before knowing what kind of offers, if any, they receive, but figured I'd ask in case you had any info.

I have seen Ruse play, but haven't seen any of the other guys. I do some media work covering UMD recruiting on occassion, so if you care to add your thoughts on the MIAA guys listed, I would certainly be interested in your opinion.

None of them are uber-prospects nationally, or going to a top flight baseball program, so I'd be willing to bet any of the 4 would take a reasonable amount of money and go pro. This is a dilemma that a lot of players face though, if they aren't that sought after now, college ball could make them better prospects, AND they get an education out of it. However if they don't excel in college, the career is probably over, which scares a lot of them into taking whatever contract they get offered and risking it at expense to the free ride to college.

None of them are uber-prospects nationally, or going to a top flight baseball program, so I'd be willing to bet any of the 4 would take a reasonable amount of money and go pro. This is a dilemma that a lot of players face though, if they aren't that sought after now, college ball could make them better prospects, AND they get an education out of it. However if they don't excel in college, the career is probably over, which scares a lot of them into taking whatever contract they get offered and risking it at expense to the free ride to college.

Just curious, but is there typically a cut off as far as players getting free rides to college as part of their signing bonus (or initial contract). Or, is this something that can be negotiated with anyone from the 1st pick to the last pick?

If any of those kids are getting full rides I'd be shocked.

Just curious, but is there typically a cut off as far as players getting free rides to college as part of their signing bonus (or initial contract). Or, is this something that can be negotiated with anyone from the 1st pick to the last pick?

Anyone can negotiate it, but from the mid-rounds on down college is typically more money than they sign for. You hear it a lot in lower draft picks that teams overslot trying to get them to pass on college by giving them the same benefits (monetarily) that they would get. It's not like the team sends the money to school for the player though, so even if they SAY they are giving them so much towards college, the player can use it for whatever they want.

Yeah I have no idea, I was just assuming they might be some of the scholarship kids they are bringing in, I'm pretty sure they have a couple open this offseason.

It's just really unusual for baseball players to get full rides, in general. I'm sure they are getting scholarship money, but a full ride would shock me.

It's just really unusual for baseball players to get full rides, in general. I'm sure they are getting scholarship money, but a full ride would shock me.

Truth. Not sure at all how MD does theirs, I know when I was going through the process a while back and talked to them they had scholarships at certain amounts, and to an out of state player it was just some money towards things, but to an in-state guy, it was a little more than tuition and books. (Which would have been a full ride for me since I lived at home close enough to commute)

No, I do not. I mainly started this post for that reason, to gauge how some of the better players from the miaa stacked up nationally and whether any of them had a chance to be drafted high. From what I know, there are a few teams interested in Lardo and he may be taken somewhere on Day 3. But, I doubt he would sign. He seems pretty intent on attending Maryland this fall. Hockaday is the only one I mentioned that I feel may have a chance to be taken somewhat high. If he does get drafted relatively high, lets say somewhere in the 15th to 25th round range and performs well in the cal ripken league this summer for the youse's orioles, I could see him signing. Then again, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as I am not necessarily an expert here, just kinda goin off my gut feeling.

No, I do not. I mainly started this post for that reason, to gauge how some of the better players from the miaa stacked up nationally and whether any of them had a chance to be drafted high. From what I know, there are a few teams interested in Lardo and he may be taken somewhere on Day 3. But, I doubt he would sign. He seems pretty intent on attending Maryland this fall. Hockaday is the only one I mentioned that I feel may have a chance to be taken somewhat high. If he does get drafted relatively high, lets say somewhere in the 15th to 25th round range and performs well in the cal ripken league this summer for the youse's orioles, I could see him signing. Then again, my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt as I am not necessarily an expert here, just kinda goin off my gut feeling.

Hockaday will get selected but should go to school and see if he can develop further. I have had probably four dozen convos with Area Scouts about Lardo -- he's a good college get but needs school to develop more. Most evaluators I talk to agree they just don't know how his game will play on a pro stage. Coin flip as to whether or not he gets drafted.

Hockaday will get selected but should go to school and see if he can develop further. I have had probably four dozen convos with Area Scouts about Lardo -- he's a good college get but needs school to develop more. Most evaluators I talk to agree they just don't know how his game will play on a pro stage. Coin flip as to whether or not he gets drafted.

Yea, that sounds about right on Lardo. Definitely needs a more disciplined approach at the plate, something he'll work on in college.

Yea, that sounds about right on Lardo. Definitely needs a more disciplined approach at the plate, something he'll work on in college.

If they do all make it to school I'll let you know next year. I try to get out to catch the Terps a couple games a year.

Archived