Dana Eveland Tonight

OFFNY

DANA EVELAND (4/18 vs.Gwinnett Braves)

Ugh. TWO ERRORS in the first inning already. AAA-Norfolk's defense is as bad as the Orioles' defense. :( Eveland had to get 5 outs, and had 2 unearned runs score on him in addition to the 1 earned one.

IP:O1

H:o 2

R:O 3

ER:.1

BB: 0

SO: 1

Pitches: 36 (23 Strikes, 13 Balls)

2012 ERA: 3.29

Yeah, his 10 hits the other day were all singles. I wonder how many of those hits were GB's and how tight that defense is. His walk rate (one of the major complaints against him) has been encouraging.

The defense was horrible for Bergesen 2 nights ago, as well. Not only did the commit 3 errors in 2 innings, but 4 of the 7 hits against Bergy were not hit hard, and 3 of them got through an infield that ......... that isn't exactly reminiscent of Brooks, Belanger, Johnson/Grich, and Powell.

DANA EVELAND (4/18 vs.Gwinnett Braves)

Excellent comeback after the defense screwed you in the first inning, Eveland. :)

1 earned run over 6 innings. 1 walk, 5 strikeouts.

IP:O6

H:o 7

R:O 3

ER:.1

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 101 (66 Strikes, 35 Balls)

2012 ERA: 2.41

Wonder why they took him out after 88 pitches.

I don't know, but I'm very much in favor of using your catcher's and your manager's lying eyes more, as opposed to relying so predominantly on the pitch-count.

IMRAOAO, I believe that a pitcher can still be OK after 115 pitches, and that same pitcher, for whatever reason, could be tired after 65 pitches in a game 2 or 3 weeks later.

When pitch-counts first started being used they were (I believe) supposed to be just a general marker. Unfortunately, they have been weighted extremely heavily. Kudos to the Texas Rangers for throwing them out the window completely.

I don't know, but I'm very much in favor of using your catcher's and your manager's lying eyes more, as opposed to relying so predominantly on the pitch-count.

IMRAOAO, I believe that a pitcher can still be OK after 115 pitches, and that same pitcher, for whatever reason, could be tired after 65 pitches in a game 2 or 3 weeks later.

When pitch-counts first started being used they were (I believe) supposed to be just a general marker. Unfortunately, they have been weighted extremely heavily. Kudos to the Texas Rangers for throwing them out the window completely.

Don't know. 58 strikes and 30 balls is pretty good. He's not exactly a hard thrower anymore. If anything he's been pretty consistent so far. I like the fact his walk rate has been down.

Archived