Why aren't people complaining about Betemit's defense?

Sports Guy

I guess someone has to say it: I miss Melvin Mora. The guy was steady defensively, and pretty decent with the stick. Yes, he had his issues and was overpaid a bit at the end of his contract, but he was a decent overall package at 3B and hasn't been easy to replace.

Machado getting here next year and moving Hardy to 3B would work wonders.

Otherwise, yes, Mora seems to be the new DeCinces. The guy we just can't replace.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reynolds and Betemit have combined to go 10 for 52 thus far with horrible on base percentages. On top of that the defense has been terrible. I am not complaining about Reynolds or Betemit's defense because its not their fault that the Orioles do not have a better fielding third base solution.

The thing about baseball is that you can try to fix your mistakes and out work your peers to find out that it doesn't translate. There just isn't anywhere to hide in baseball like you can with football at times. There is not team member that can pick you up by fielding or hitting on your behalf.

Reynolds should be a DH/1B and Betemit should be a DH/UTIL. If either guy plays defense on a daily basis we are likely to see a lot of up and down play. I think that Reynolds has cost us one game on defense and that the lack of offense from Reynolds and Betemit may have cost us another.

Machado getting here next year and moving Hardy to 3B would work wonders.

Otherwise, yes, Mora seems to be the new DeCinces. The guy we just can't replace.

I think that we see both Machado and Bundy on the club next season. If we had those two guys on the team at the moment, I think we would be a team that folks would be talking about.

Reynolds and Betemit have combined to go 10 for 52 thus far with horrible on base percentages. On top of that the defense has been terrible. I am not complaining about Reynolds or Betemit's defense because its not their fault that the Orioles do not have a better fielding third base solution.

The thing about baseball is that you can try to fix your mistakes and out work your peers to find out that it doesn't translate. There just isn't anywhere to hide in baseball like you can with football at times. There is not team member that can pick you up by fielding or hitting on your behalf.

Reynolds should be a DH/1B and Betemit should be a DH/UTIL. If either guy plays defense on a daily basis we are likely to see a lot of up and down play. I think that Reynolds has cost us one game on defense and that the lack of offense from Reynolds and Betemit may have cost us another.

I agree with the last paragraph.

Archived