Why aren't people complaining about Betemit's defense?

Sports Guy

We have thread after thread started because Reynolds doesn't make a play..But yet here we are and Betimet made 2 errors this weekend.

It just kind of strengthens the point that we don't really have a third baseman that we can rely on defensively...So, put the guy out there that has shown to at least be decent in the past and try to help his value...Reynolds.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Betemit made some crap defensive plays this weekend, absolutely. There have been complaints in game threads, but most people probably aren't extremely worked up yet because he's not supposed to be out there every day, and he provided some good offense during the series. He still needs to work on defensive things, since he could be out there at any time due to prolonged slumps or other displays of ineffectiveness by other players. Roster flexibility depends on things like that. If he ends up being repeatedly put in the field and continues to make errors, more and bigger complaints will be generated. For the moment, his miscues will probably be considered in the context of SSS, as something that bears watching but not yet considered by most as something to be extremely stressed about.

We aren't paying Betemit $7.5 mm, and we didn't trade a very good young pitching prospect to get him. So, it's understandable that Betemit isn't getting the grief Reynolds did. That said, I don't consider him a defensive upgrade at 3B.

We aren't paying Betemit $7.5 mm, and we didn't trade a very good young pitching prospect to get him. So, it's understandable that Betemit isn't getting the grief Reynolds did. That said, I don't consider him a defensive upgrade at 3B.

People wanted him at third. He isn't better. He isn't an upgrade. People can now see it.

Selective enforcement of the good defense rule. Pure, blind disdain for Reynolds. Because the last name Betemit sounds cool. I don't know, but I do know that Betimet is not a great option at 3rd either, and while I like what he can do off the bench and starting a couple of times a week, him everyday at 3rd is not a good plan. All I know is that while errors are the end all be all defensive statistic, I'm already sick and tired of the errors this team is making. Errors are up there with walks and wild pitches as one of the most frustrating occurrences in baseball, and I feel like we've made at least one every game.

We've been through a whole here of Reynold's defense. You're all about helping value. Still want to get Gregg some saves?

As if putting Reynolds at 3B and watching him make more errors is going to help his value? I don't get it.

I'm glad you finally admit that. :)

No, he's right. Nobody, especially a contender, is going to trade for Reynolds as a 3b. Quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with either one of these guys. That one of these absolute butchers is who we have to put out at 3rd everyday is unacceptable really. BTW.... I haven't seen either game the last two days so I can't really comment on Betemit's errors. I just know the ones from Reynolds were really, really, bad. The ones he was charged with and the ones he wasn't( Davis making a great diving catch at 1st, the misjudged pop fly).

No, he's right. Quit trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with either one of these guys. That one of these absolute butchers is who we have to put out at 3rd everyday is unacceptable really. BTW.... I haven't seen either game the last two days so I can't really comment on Betemit's errors. I just know the ones from Reynolds were 100% unacceptable.

We don't have any other options!!!! Why don't people get this? Reynolds is the best option we have!

Archived