Tyler Kelly

EagleOriole

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's an organizational guy; it would be nice to see him rewarded for his efforts, but like Zach Clark or Buck Britton, he's going to be one of those guys that fills a role for whatever team needs it. He could also be a Kyle Hudson type guy too, maybe get a nice September call up just for playing well.

He's an organizational guy; it would be nice to see him rewarded for his efforts, but like Zach Clark or Buck Britton, he's going to be one of those guys that fills a role for whatever team needs it. He could also be a Kyle Hudson type guy too, maybe get a nice September call up just for playing well.

That's extremely depressing if this is accurate. Kelly, statistically, is one of the best hitters in the Carolina League. I understand he's a bit older, but how does a guy who has put up outstanding numbers at every stop translate into a 'Kyle Hudson type?'

I just don't see how a guy who can dominate High-A pitching, proves, somewhat, his ability at AAA, but won't project anywhere but a replacement utility type.

Not sure what you mean by this, he really hasn't.

Well, I guess in the context of what was around him, he has. He was named an all-star with Aberdeen, Delmarva, and now Frederick. That's voted on by all the coaches and media, so, albeit a subjective evaluation, people thought he was one of the best in the league at each stop.

Looking at his OBP numbers, they've been consistently better than others around him:

2011 Delmarva: .369 OBP (1st - 12th in league)

2010 Delmarva: .352 OBP (2nd)

2009 Aberdeen: .357 OBP (1st)

So I guess comparatively to those around him, he's outstanding. Compared to others that have moved up a lot quicker, he's at minimum been above-average his whole career. For reasons unknown to me, they still didn't bump him up to Frederick until now, but now that he's there, his numbers are very impressive.

3rd in Carolina League active players with a 157 RC+ in Frederick. Sorry, but I love what he can do for us. He has to get a chance in AA before the end of the year so we'll find out if he's for real pretty soon!

24 years old in the Carolina league is, unfortunately, not just a "bit old" it is over the hill. Aaron Baker is also not really a prospect at this point-even with his .506 slugging %. Most players who make any impact in the Majors are usually on the verge of making the Majors at 24 years old, if they have not already made it. There is a chance that Tyler Kelly may make the majors for a cup of coffee later in his career-but the odds are extremely long that he will have any substantive major league career. This makes him an organizational player who the Orioles will simply use to make the team more competitive or (assuming Tyler Kelly has a good work ethic) by being someone who the Orioles hope will influence the real prospects to be hard workers.

If I had to make out my top-30 list right now, Ty Kelly may very well be on it. He'd be in the later half, but he's starting to get my attention. I know he's not young for the league, but he's 23 and that's not "over the hill" either (Average age of Frederick's hitters is 23.3, for Bowie it's 25.2). Nobody is saying he's an elite prospect, but with the O's farm system being relatively barren, I think one could make a case that Kelly is in the top-30. He can't control the league he's in or when he's promoted, only the results. I'd say an 900 OPS is getting the results, and I love the fact that he has more walks (leading the team) than K's.

I'd probably make the same arguement for Baker. He's repeating high-A, which is not a good sign and he strikes out a lot. That being said, I can't ignore 14 home runs and a 500 SLG% even though he's 24. To me he's a low-level prospect but, just like Ty kelly, he is a propsect.

I don't think the issue is that he hasn't earned the promotion, I think the issue is simply space. And since he is an organizational guy right now who probably won't get much more than callup/utility in the majors, he has lower priority over guys in Bowie and with Britton and Barfield doing well and Machado and Schoop with top prospect types, the Orioles probably would prefer keeping Kelly in Frederick where he can play everyday than sit on the bench. My guess is as soon as there is space, he will be the first called up.

• 2 weeks later...
Time to find space for Ty Kelly:

.346/.460/.513/.973

over his last 10 games he is hitting an amazing:

.486/.578/.857/1.435

Bowie, lets go!

I think Tyler's problem is that Schoop is at 2B at Bowie and they like Buck Britton's bat at 3B. Before this season, Kelly's lack of power was a major drawback but he's upped it considerably this season. He's got a nice set up at the plate and he's certainly proven he's too good for Single-A. If I'm the Orioles, I'd move him up to Bowie but move out to the outfield. I don't know who has a better arm between Barfield and Kelly, but whoever does goes to right field. Jai Miller either goes to the bench of gets sent down to Single-A where maybe he can feast on some A-ball fastballs.

Either way, Kelly should be given the opportunity over the rest of the season to hit against AA pitching.

I think Tyler's problem is that Schoop is at 2B at Bowie and they like Buck Britton's bat at 3B. Before this season, Kelly's lack of power was a major drawback but he's upped it considerably this season. He's got a nice set up at the plate and he's certainly proven he's too good for Single-A. If I'm the Orioles, I'd move him up to Bowie but move out to the outfield. I don't know who has a better arm between Barfield and Kelly, but whoever does goes to right field. Jai Miller either goes to the bench of gets sent down to Single-A where maybe he can feast on some A-ball fastballs.

Either way, Kelly should be given the opportunity over the rest of the season to hit against AA pitching.

Does Buck Britton play 2B at all? Should he be moved up to AAA, moving Cookie Rojas to maybe an independent team - or maybe he could coach my kids team in fielding (cause I don't want him teaching my kids team how to hit!). I feel like Buck Britton has value as a utility guy down the road and he has bad plenty of AA at-bats. Move Buck up, move Ty up...move Cookie out.

Does Buck Britton play 2B at all? Should he be moved up to AAA, moving Cookie Rojas to maybe an independent team - or maybe he could coach my kids team in fielding (cause I don't want him teaching my kids team how to hit!). I feel like Buck Britton has value as a utility guy down the road and he has bad plenty of AA at-bats. Move Buck up, move Ty up...move Cookie out.

I hear ya, and I've been amazed at how long Rojas has hung around over the years. However, I don't think they'll get rid of him since he's the only guy who can play SS there besides Bake Davis. With Hall hurt, Rojas is starting (ugh!) at 2B now. I'd love to see Buck get a promotion to AAA, but if you cut Rojas you would only have one guy who can play SS.

Also, may has Kelly been raking. They've got to find a way to promote him to AA. Perhaps Tony was onto something. Jai Miller has been an utter disappointment (remember when he was considered for the opening day 25-man roster?). Heck Barfeld, at 29, is the oldest hitter on the team. I wouldn't mind seeing what someone six years younger could do.

Archived