Tyler Kelly

EagleOriole

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he can play 2B, he's got a major league future given his ability to draw walks and hit for contact.

I am pretty sure he can and has played 3B, 2B, LF...earlier in his minor league career he played SS. I think this is a super-utility guy waiting to happen.

I hate to be a pain, but:

2-3, with a BB last night.

13 BBs in 110 AA at-bats.

.318/.391/.382/.772

Hard to expect more from him. Is he a top 10 prospect at this point or still an organizational guy. Look at his OBP numbers, every year he is around .350-.360 - this year at .433 for the year!

He was hitting for more power this year at Frederick. With that power at AA and AAA he's a top 20 prospect for me. Without it, he's an organizational, Howie Clark type.

I am not as concerned with his power, because I don't expect him to be a ML all-star. I expect him to grow into a super utility guy. He is now hitting .325/.398/.404/.802 in Bowie. I know he is old for Bowie, but not ancient and he is having a hell of a year.

I hate to be a pain, but:

2-3, with a BB last night.

13 BBs in 110 AA at-bats.

.318/.391/.382/.772

Hard to expect more from him. Is he a top 10 prospect at this point or still an organizational guy. Look at his OBP numbers, every year he is around .350-.360 - this year at .433 for the year!

Talked to a few scouts about him the other day. The general consensus is he doesn't have a position and he won't hit for power. AAAA guy at best. I've only seen him a few times over his career and I haven't seen any power. He does do the little things like hit behind the runner or move guys over. He probably is going to have to show he can at least play LF,3B,2B adequately to get a shot one day or he needs to just keep on hitting. I only saw him make a few plays at second and he looked adequate there but I didn't have much of a look.

Talked to a few scouts about him the other day. The general consensus is he doesn't have a position and he won't hit for power. AAAA guy at best. I've only seen him a few times over his career and I haven't seen any power. He does do the little things like hit behind the runner or move guys over. He probably is going to have to show he can at least play LF,3B,2B adequately to get a shot one day or he needs to just keep on hitting. I only saw him make a few plays at second and he looked adequate there but I didn't have much of a look.

Thanks for the info Tony!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, people didn't believe in Ben Zobrist, either. Not saying he's going to be Zobrist, but my guess is that he'll prove people wrong. Zobrist just kept getting on base far more than anyone else, while being considered an afterthought compared to teammates Reid Brignac and Sean Rodriquez, and eventually proved people wrong at age 27. Congrats to the O's afterthought - Ty Kelly - on a great season - getting an OPS for the year over .900 - with an OBP in the .420's.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• The second question is - what extensions can the Orioles do with guys other than these 4, who are not Boras clients? Don’t want to rehash the “Boras clients don’t extend” debate, but let’s assume whatever they can do with these 4 doesn’t impact the ability to do other extensions.  Grayson: With 5 years of control after this one, it would have to be something like 6 years + a couple option years. Possible, but not super high priority.  Bradish: Entirely TBD on how he returns from injury, and even then a bit of the same question as Grayson with so much control remaining.  Westburg, Cowser and Kjerstad: Lumping them all together because I think it’s similar considerations. At their ages when their years of control expire, I don’t think it really makes sense. All 3 have been phenomenal to start the year but still have significant question marks about their games (really high whiff rates and not great K/BB for Westburg and Cowser, Kjerstad’s defense, chase rate and of course not yet facing MLB yet). Mayo and Basallo: Given their ages they are going to be the best candidates, IMO. However, it’s premature now for obvious reasons, particularly with the major questions about how much defensive value they are going to provide at the MLB level.  Unfortunately I have a hard time seeing any extensions happening in the near future, even if Elias and Rubenstein have all the best intentions of wanting to do them. 
    • My opinion in principle depends on the duration of the FA contract.  For the Orioles as currently constructed, the roster will be inexpensive over next 3 years with most premium guys either pre-arb or early arb years.  That would make me lean toward FA signing of elite SP this upcoming offseason. Now last winter we saw only Nola receive long duration contract at 7yrs (I’m putting Yamamoto & Ohtani in separate category given the JP marketing angle).  The industry seemed reticent to give $$$ and length to the other premium SPs (Snell, Montgomery) but was this Boras driven?  Would the premium SPs be willing to sign 3-4 yr deals at higher AAVs or instead play out essentially one year deals?  Example — would a guy like Burnes go for 4/175M? the market dynamics will be interesting with demand (which big market clubs pursuing — Cubs, LAA, SFG, NYY?) and supply (Burnes, Fried as FAs and Montgomery, Snell, Cole as potential opt outs).  As well as Boras negotiating factor.   
    • Adley by default (though not sure if he’d prefer to be west coast long term). I don’t expect Gunnar, Corbin, or Jackson to be viable extension options.  I know there are some examples of Boras clients extending like Strasbourg and Carlos Gomez, but it’s rare and I can’t see Elias pulling the trigger on what it would take to get one of those deals done.  
    • The playoffs is extremely volatile. This isn't the NBA or even the NFL; the best team doesn't win all the time, or perhaps even most of the time. So long as they are annually good enough to win the AL East, there really can be no rational critique of their approach.
    • You predicting any rings? At this point that should be the goal.
    • Here's my prediction: We're going to win ~ games this season and ~100 games next season. And in between, in the next off-season, this board will have several meltdowns bemoaning the lack of FA signings.
    • This is why I was against the Burnes trade. I could turn out to be wrong even only having him for one year, but I would have rather got a guy with a few years of control. I agree though. You really can't extend him at what he's going to ask for.
  • Popular Contributors