Build your 2014 MLB team

backwardsk

The goal is to create a 25 man roster consisting of just one player from each team around the league. For example, your team can't have both Verlander and Cabrera. There are no salary limitations and you play with American League rules. You can have starters in your bullpen and you can play around with defense realistically. For example, even though Cabrera will play 1B this year, you can have him as a 3B.

Here's my team:

Trout LF (LAA)

Pedroia 2B (BOS)

Cabrera 1B (Det)

Davis DH (Bal)

McCutchen CF (Pit)

Stanton RF (Mia)

Longoria 3B (TB)

Posey C (SF)

Tulowitzki SS (Col)

Bench:

Ellsbury OF (NYY)

Reyes SS-2B (Tor)

Wright 3B (NYM)

Mauer C (Min)

Rotation:

Kershaw (LAD)

Hernandez (Sea)

Strasburg (Was)

Sale (CHA)

Lee (Phi)

Bullpen:

Kimbrel (Atl)

Chapman (Cin)

Crow (KC)

Masterson (Cle)

Darvish (Tex)

Wainwright (St L)

Doolittle (Oak)

Is Cabrera a better defensive first basemen than Davis? I always thought of him as below average in the field.

I would tend to think so. Defensive metrics aren't particularly kind to Mr. Davis, but I personally think that Davis'd D > Cabrera's based on what I've watched.

Joe Mauer isn't catching anymore.

I understand. The reason he isn't catching this season is because Minnesota wants to preserve his knees for the duration of his contract. But he can still catch. Just like I have Trout in LF even though he plays CF.

Part of the criteria was:

"You can have starters in your bullpen and you can play around with defense realistically. For example, even though Cabrera will play 1B this year, you can have him as a 3B."

I understand. The reason he isn't catching this season is because Minnesota wants to preserve his knees for the duration of his contract. But he can still catch. Just like I have Trout in LF even though he plays CF.

"You can have starters in your bullpen and you can play around with defense realistically. For example, even though Cabrera will play 1B this year, you can have him as a 3B."

Oh right. I saw that but somehow forgot.

He stopped because he got a concussion.

http://espn.go.com/blog/spring-training/post/_/id/1718/joe-mauer-playing-first-no-catch

Archived