1980 Montreal Expos

OFFNY

They were more memorable to be from the late 60's to mid 70's when they were terrible. The Jerry Park announcer, Claude Mouton was quite the character.

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/9ca89460

This article was written by Rory Costello.

Jooohhnnn Bocci !! a beelllllaaaaaaaa !!

If you were a National League fan from 1969 to 1973, one of the memorable things about Montreal Expos home games was this call. Claude Mouton, the distinctive public-address announcer at old Jarry Park, loved to roll the r's in names like Herrera and Hermoso. But he always took special delight in this catcher's musical Italian name.

John Boccabellahttp://sabr.org/bioproj/person/9ca89460

This article was written by Rory Costello.

“Jooohhnnn Bocc! – a – beelllllaaaaaaaa.”

If you were a National League fan from 1969 to 1973, one of the memorable things about Montreal Expos home games was this call. Claude Mouton, the distinctive public-address announcer at old Jarry Park, loved to roll the r’s in names like Herrera and Hermoso. But he always took special delight in this catcher’s musical Italian name.

Me an my older brothers LOVED hearing that on TV when the Mets played the Expos.

We actually saw them play each other at Shea Stadium in 1972 (I was 6 and-a-half years old) when Boccabella was with the team. The Shea public address announcer didn't stress his name quite the same as the Expos' PA did, though.

Me an my older brothers LOVED hearing that on TV when the Mets played the Expos.

We actually saw them play each other at Shea Stadium in 1972 (I was 6 and-a-half years old) when Boccabella was with the team. The Shea public address announcer didn't stress his name quite the same as the Expos' PA did, though.

Wish I could find that call on youtube. Been about 45 years now and it's one of those things I'll never forget. The "Le Grand Orange" and "Coco Laboy" was pretty good to, but nothing was better than "Jooohhnnn Bocci !! a beelllllaaaaaaaa !!"

• 2 weeks later...

1978-topps-425-steve-rogers.jpg

One of the best pitchers nobody remembers anymore. 16-11, 2.98 ERA, 5th in Cy Young voting in 1980.

1982-topps-695-warren-cromartie.jpg

A superb defenseman in the outfield; played 1B in 1980 in part because of...

ellis_valentine.jpg

Bringin' the lumber for the Expos in the late 70s. OPS+ed 147 in 1980.

Oh, and two other guys on the team but they didn't contribute much...

garycarter.jpgdawson-expos-photo1.jpg

Archived