1978: Home Plate Collisions on Back-to-Back Plays

OFFNY

o

I remember when this happened when I was a kid.

In 1978, Mike Heath was a 23 year-old rookie catcher with the Yankees.

In a game against the California Angels, he was plowed over ON TWO CONSECUTIVE PLAYS, first by by Bobby Grich, and then by Carney Lansford.

The first time, Heath let it go.

The second time (on the very next play), all bets were off, and the 20 year-old came up swinging.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2mVqUeHJC3o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Actually, Grich's forearm cross-body block was much more egregious than was Lansford's collision with Heath. But since Lansford happened to be the second one that collided with Heath, he was the one who Heath unleashed his frustrations on.

o

o

o

I remember when this happened when I was a kid.

In 1978, Mike Heath was a 23 year-old rookie catcher with the Yankees.

In a game against the California Angels, he was plowed over ON TWO CONSECUTIVE PLAYS, first by by Bobby Grich, and then by Carney Lansford.

The first time, Heath let it go.

The second time (on the very next play), all bets were off, and the 20 year-old came up swinging.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2mVqUeHJC3o?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Actually, Grich's forearm cross-body block was much more egregious than was Lansford's collision with Heath. But since Lansford happened to be the second one that collided with Heath, he was the one who Heath unleashed his frustrations on.

o

o

Grich should have been thrown out of the game.

Even in that era, that was garbage.

Couple of things, pretty sure that that was paul Blair throwing Grich out by twenty feet.

Also, I always liked the state of California on the back of the Angels' jackets.

Cool stuff.

Archived