Hypothetical, Jones for McCutchen

Outlander

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always felt like OPACY isn't a very 3B conducive park. ESPN's park factor seems to agree (#22 in favorability toward the 3B this season), which could have something to do with the fact that we don't have a ton of triple speed on this team. We have only 8 triples on the season, the next lowest team is the Mets with 8, then the Twins and Indians with 15. We were dead last in 3B last season (2013), tied for 2nd least in 2012 with Boston (only MFY were worse), last in the MLB in 2011, and we were actually tied for 5th least in 2010. I wonder if this is park-driven, speed-driven, or strategy (why risk getting thrown out when our roster leads the MLB in homers?); maybe some combination of all of these.

OPACY is one of the worst triple parks in MLB, possibly in MLB history. The Orioles have the fewest home triples in MLB since OPACY opened. And despite having the 5th-worst ERA in baseball over that timeframe Oriole pitchers have allowed the 5th-fewest triples at home. In 2005 Oriole pitchers allowed 5 triples at Camden Yards all year, and this year the O's have hit two home triples.

Overall, since 1992 the O's and their opponents have 456 triples at OPACY, 651 on the road (42% more on the road).

An average Jones homer this year has traveled 399.5 feet. An average McCutchen homer has traveled 397.5. That difference would appear to be small.

How many has McCutchen hit to the opposite field versus Jones? To me that is more of an indication of overall HR power. Jones hits them over 400 feet to RF, I highly doubt McCutcheon can do that very often.

How many has McCutchen hit to the opposite field versus Jones? To me that is more of an indication of overall HR power. Jones hits them over 400 feet to RF, I highly doubt McCutcheon can do that very often.

This year McCutchen has hit about 50% of his homers to the RF side of center. Jones has hit about 33% of his.

Adam Jones has hit 7 homers that can be classified as opposite field. McCutchen has hit 8. The average McCutchen opposite field homer traveled 391.5 feet, with 4 over 400 feet, and the longest at 435 feet. The average Adam Jones opposite field homer traveled 399.1 feet, with 4 over 400 feet, and the longest being 424 feet.

Again, the difference is negligible. I'm not even sure why I even bothered collecting this, since I don't think it proves anything even if the results were different.

Anyone trying to cling to Jones being a better player is burying their orange colored glasses wearing head in the sand. If you love the guy and wouldn't do it on those merits ok, but trying to defend him as a superior player is pretty ridiculous.

Adam Jones has hit 7 homers that can be classified as opposite field. McCutchen has hit 8. The average McCutchen opposite field homer traveled 391.5 feet, with 4 over 400 feet, and the longest at 435 feet. The average Adam Jones opposite field homer traveled 399.1 feet, with 4 over 400 feet, and the longest being 424 feet.

Again, the difference is negligible. I'm not even sure why I even bothered collecting this, since I don't think it proves anything even if the results were different.

Anyone trying to cling to Jones being a better player is burying their orange colored glasses wearing head in the sand. If you love the guy and wouldn't do it on those merits ok, but trying to defend him as a superior player is pretty ridiculous.

And we have no idea who will be the superior player going forward. Tanaka looked pretty good earlier this year.

Many, maybe even most folks here appreciate facts and evidence and structured thinking. Used to support justifiable conclusions. There are a few die hard cynics who think that "facts" are really just opinions to be manipulated to trick people, but don't let them bother you.

The crazy thing is that this is not a hypothetical. It is calling out AJ. So, not so much fun for me. I'll keep our guy thank you.

I don't think it's calling out AJ at all. I don't think there is a single fan of the O's who isn't happy he's ours. He's perceived as one of the best players in the game, though, and he's just not. He's valuable, and a great Oriole, but he's not on the same level as McCutchen. Jones is a 3-5 win player, which has a lot of value, but he's not an elite talent.

And we have no idea who will be the superior player going forward. Tanaka looked pretty good earlier this year.

What? weams, you're a good guy and smart guy. And I hope by this statement you mean something like "McCutchen is pretty obviously a better, younger, cheaper player, but sometimes off-the-wall stuff happens."

I don't know what's so hard, or insulting, to admit that McCutchen is pretty clearly better than Jones but we like Adam Jones so let's keep him.

We have a pretty good idea though. We also don't know for sure who will be better going forward between Mike Trout and Ryan Flaherty. We can make a pretty good guess though. McCutchen has had 4 straight seasons better than any Jones has ever had in his career, he's also younger, and cheaper.

I cannot argue against this conclusion. It does make me wonder though how a guy the size of Mccutchin can hit home runs at such a distance? Where is he getting all this power? Adam Jones is a bigger man, period. Not saying I suspect anything, but for that reason alone I would prefer Jones.

I cannot argue against this conclusion. It does make me wonder though how a guy the size of Mccutchin can hit home runs at such a distance? Where is he getting all this power? Adam Jones is a bigger man, period. Not saying I suspect anything, but for that reason alone I would prefer Jones.

Listed baseball heights and weights are notoriously inaccurate. But McCutchen is about the same height as Willie Mays, Al Rosen, Vern Stephens, Bret Boone, Jimmy Wynn, Ron Cey, and Kevin Mitchell. McCutchen's 31 homers in 2012 is tied for 27th place among players who claim to be 5' 10". And 44th-best among players 5' 10" or shorter.

Listed baseball heights and weights are notoriously inaccurate. But McCutchen is about the same height as Willie Mays, Al Rosen, Vern Stephens, Bret Boone, Jimmy Wynn, Ron Cey, and Kevin Mitchell. McCutchen's 31 homers in 2012 is tied for 27th place among players who claim to be 5' 10". And 44th-best among players 5' 10" or shorter.

Interesting, but I also have always wondered where Granderson got all his power, as he never looked very big or strong either. Markakis looks like he would be much more powerful.

Yeah well you have half my point. Seems like a lot of the posters would dump their wives if given a chance with Mila Kunis.

I can't make a decision of that magnitude based on the eye-test alone. I need some advanced stats. What's Mila's In The Mood(ITM)%? Her times ITM/24 hours? Her Value Above Replacement Spouse (VARS)? Her LAMIH (Lighting and Make-Up Independent Hotness). Making that kind of decision based on just subjective observation would be foolhardy.

Archived