Orioles trade for Kelly Johnson and Michael Almanzar

furryburres

These are depth moves and nothing else. De Aza is not better than David Lough (this year). He didn't become a full time player until 28 and seems to be regressing.

2012 .760

2013 .728

2014 .663

David Lough has been buried on the bench since he blew his chance in April and May. I do not see De Aza as some kind of significant upgrade but now the O's have two such players instead of one. De Aza is likely non tendered this winter. Lough probably comes back next year.

Kelly Johnson is not a good player anymore, offensively or defensively. He might be a nice PH option for Jon Schoop in a tight spot though.

I think its too early to say whether De Aza comes back next year with the O's or not. Depends on what he shows in September.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These are depth moves and nothing else. De Aza is not better than David Lough (this year). He didn't become a full time player until 28 and seems to be regressing.

2012 .760

2013 .728

2014 .663

David Lough has been buried on the bench since he blew his chance in April and May. I do not see De Aza as some kind of significant upgrade but now the O's have two such players instead of one. De Aza is likely non tendered this winter. Lough probably comes back next year.

Kelly Johnson is not a good player anymore, offensively or defensively. He might be a nice PH option for Jon Schoop in a tight spot though.

De Aza is still hitting RHP pretty well this year (747 OPS/343 OBP). He will see time in LF the rest of the way. Johnson very well could end up being an option at third base imo.

My understanding is different. As long as the orioles have Players on the DL (they obviously do), as long as the player is on the 40 man roster, he's eligible. Teams have to submit their eligible 25 man roster from the eligible pool (of say, 26-29 players) before each playoff series. FWIW, the mlb app already shows Johnson on the 40 man (although this is obvs not definitive). Bottom line, today's 25 doesn't mean everything as long as the player is in the organization:

To be eligible for a team's postseason roster, a player must be on any of the following: (a) the active 25-man roster (b) the disabled list, © the bereavement list, or (d) the suspended list as of August 31 at midnight ET.[1] The only exception is that a player who is on the disabled list at the end of the regular season may be replaced on the postseason roster by any other player who was in the organization on August 31, with the approval of the commissioner of baseball.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_transactions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Announcing a trade and being in the organization are to different things. The O's have to submit his name on the roster to the commissioner's office. When the O's do that is the official act that puts Kelly Johnson in the O's organization. We don't know whether will happen. Today or tomorrow.

The O's have said that De Aza will be with the team today. He will be on the roster and eligible for post season play. There is not one set of rules for De Aza and another set for Kelly Johnson. Johnson has to be placed on the 25 man roster today to be eligible for post season play. Its unclear if that will happen today.

No, that is not true. He is on the 40 man roster awaiting assignment. It was submitted. And Weeks is on the Red Sox 40. They get time to assign after league submission.

No, that is not true. He is on the 40 man roster awaiting assignment. It was submitted. And Weeks is on the Red Sox 40. They get time to assign after league submission.

I am not aware of a way to get Kelly Johnson on the 40 man roster without him being on the 25 roster if it is done before September 1st. I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Archived