What a monster statement today. "It's still baseball season in Baltimore"

Barnaby Graves

I can't be the only one who noticed this. On getaway day, trying to stave off a sweep in that graveyard of happiness Tropicana Field, the Orioles have an unbelievable yet appropriately epic win led by Nelson Cruz who is having the kind of unbelievable yet appropriately epic year that just kinda sums up the 2012-2014 Orioles. Back home, the Ravens drop the home opener. Maybe I'm attaching too much significance to it but right now I gotta think Baltimore is more excited about the Orioles in 2014 than the Ravens.

I mean tell me what you guys think because I don't even live there, basically I've always been a fan through my dad, and I take my pilgrimages every year. Always felt like the local media and national media regarded the Ravens as a bigger deal but right now I think the focus is on the Orioles and how they are going to close out this season.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unfortunately this is a football town mostly now. Radio callers would rather dissect a 4th preseason game than the O's. 90% of sports chatter tomorrow will be about Joe Flacco, not Nelson Cruz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sports talk show guys maybe. The Town is currently Orange and Black.

Unfortunately this is a football town mostly now. Radio callers would rather dissect a 4th preseason game than the O's. 90% of sports chatter tomorrow will be about Joe Flacco, not Nelson Cruz.

That is pretty much sports talk all over the country, not just Baltimore. Because football is annoying, and sports talk about football is annoying.

Yeah, it is amazing. I blame the hosts of the talk radio shows for a lot of the Ravens bias. Most of them just don't know the Orioles or baseball very well, so they prefer to stay in their comfort zone and talk football.

I could scream when I'm listening to 105.7 and Biff from Parkville calls in to have a ten minute discussion about the depth at left tackle.

Yeah, it is amazing. I blame the hosts of the talk radio shows for a lot of the Ravens bias. Most of them just don't know the Orioles or baseball very well, so they prefer to stay in their comfort zone and talk football.

I could scream when I'm listening to 105.7 and Biff from Parkville calls in to have a ten minute discussion about the depth at left tackle.

This is why I never listen to sports talk radio anymore. It is terrible, it isn't fun. And football talk is the worst of the worst.

Football is easier to follow for some. A baseball season is an emotional grind for someone who follows a team closely. Football is one game a week. There is a generation of Baltimore fans who never bothered with the O's because they were terrible and the Ravens were good. A couple of good seasons won't change that. Sure, there will be huge interest come playoff time, but from the media coverage you'd think the O's were in the midst of another also-ran season.

Football is easier to follow for some. A baseball season is an emotional grind for someone who follows a team closely. Football is one game a week. There is a generation of Baltimore fans who never bothered with the O's because they were terrible and the Ravens were good. A couple of good seasons won't change that. Sure, there will be huge interest come playoff time, but from the media coverage you'd think the O's were in the midst of another also-ran season.

Oh, it is much easier to be a football fan. Plus you only need to win 9 games during the season. You gamble on it, so you know a bit more.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by idiots talking about the most miniscule idiosyncrasy of a football game for 10 minutes, when the O's are kicking butt and giving us all something to talk about. It really annoys me in the football off-season/pre-season. "Man so and so looked really good in 10 minutes of some mini camp in June." I enjoy football, especially College, but it's ridiculous.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by idiots talking about the most miniscule idiosyncrasy of a football game for 10 minutes, when the O's are kicking butt and giving us all something to talk about. It really annoys me in the football off-season/pre-season. "Man so and so looked really good in 10 minutes of some mini camp in June." I enjoy football, especially College, but it's ridiculous.

Football reminds me of crappy pop music, I know millions of people care, but I don't know any of them. I am really off football this year.

I mean; Baltimore - yay. I will root for the hometeam, but I can't see myself giving much of a care about the season this year.

The sports talk show guys maybe. The Town is currently Orange and Black.

Dunno weams. Sports talk guys are notoriously incisive in their reasoning and famous for having their finger on the pulse on all of humanities joys and sorrows. Artikulayte too....

Archived