Ubaldo Jiminez 3/39 or Ervin Santana 4/55

weams

Ubaldo or Ervin  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Ubaldo or Ervin

This poll is closed to new votes

Santana just got that deal. So I am pretty sure the point was that we are not as underwater on Ubaldo's contract as we may think. A few good starts and Whammy! We are right back in the game.

I am encouraged by the adjustment he made at the end of last season. It's something he's been unwilling to do in the past.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am encouraged by the adjustment he made at the end of last season. It's something he's been unwilling to do in the past.
That's why Buck's sticking him into the pen was the best thing that could have happened to Ubaldo. It made him finally realize that either make adjustments or pitch mop-up for the immediate future. One of a zillion reasons why Buck deservably was Manager of the Year.

• 2 years later...

I noticed during Tuesday's broadcast that Ubaldo was still in the Orioles dugout.  So they haven't yet DFAed him. And now I do know the huge difference  between Santana and Ubaldo. Wow, how wrong we were. 

Bundy went 7 innings. Blierer came in for the 8th and got them all out. Santana still in.

Santana's on a roll right now, but he was pretty risky as well.   The one thing I did like about him is that he didn't walk a lot of guys.   I thought, with our defense, he would have been a pretty good fit.

He pitched a great game tonight, but our hitters didn't adjust at all.  They still continued to try to pull every outside pitch and couldn't catch on to the pattern of him throwing that first-pitch backup slider.   I counted, and I think he threw it at one point to 11 of 12 batters, and they all took it.

14 hours ago, Chavez Ravine said:

On the not suicidal side, I don't feel that bad about guessing wrong on a free agent pitcher.  Particularly one that didn't get suspended for 80 games.

Can we get Ubaldo to do this?

15 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Santana's on a roll right now, but he was pretty risky as well.   The one thing I did like about him is that he didn't walk a lot of guys.   I thought, with our defense, he would have been a pretty good fit.

He pitched a great game tonight, but our hitters didn't adjust at all.  They still continued to try to pull every outside pitch and couldn't catch on to the pattern of him throwing that first-pitch backup slider.   I counted, and I think he threw it at one point to 11 of 12 batters, and they all took it.

At the time, both were risky, yes... Santana was probably the safer bet, but Ubaldo had the greater upside - especially after he wound down his last season in Cleveland.

Who's to say how Santana would have done with far more games in the AL East? Better than Ubaldo, still, I'd reckon, but that's it.

46 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

At the time, both were risky, yes... Santana was probably the safer bet, but Ubaldo had the greater upside - especially after he wound down his last season in Cleveland.

Who's to say how Santana would have done with far more games in the AL East? Better than Ubaldo, still, I'd reckon, but that's it.

Of course, Santana had that torn UCL too.  He got it to heal somehow. 

Archived