Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

Why legally force DD to stay here if he wants to take this promotion? Who does that help? It certainly does not help the O's organization. So let's figure out compensation.

Sure it helps the O's. Unless you don't think Dan would try his best if forced to stay.

Of course then you wonder why the O's would hire an honorless dog to be the de facto GM in the first place.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a feeling that, despite Angelos's strong words earlier in the off-season, Duquette is as good as gone and we're probably only going to get a marginal player out of it. There just isn't any kind of precedent for getting a valuable ML player for an exec, as far as I know. Epstein was probably held in higher regard than Duquette is and he only netted the Sox an AAA reliever. I guess we can tell the Blue Jays to suck eggs and hold onto Duquette but I don't really see that as a good thing for the Orioles if he doesn't want to be here.

I think the Red Sox were pretty OK with Epstein leaving.

Much more OK then PA seems to be.

I have a feeling that, despite Angelos's strong words earlier in the off-season, Duquette is as good as gone and we're probably only going to get a marginal player out of it. There just isn't any kind of precedent for getting a valuable ML player for an exec, as far as I know. Epstein was probably held in higher regard than Duquette is and he only netted the Sox an AAA reliever. I guess we can tell the Blue Jays to suck eggs and hold onto Duquette but I don't really see that as a good thing for the Orioles if he doesn't want to be here.

Lou Piniella was traded from Seattle to TB for Randy Winn. Winn was an All Star the previous year.

Sure it helps the O's. Unless you don't think Dan would try his best if forced to stay.

Of course then you wonder why the O's would hire an honorless dog to be the de facto GM in the first place.

What about the long-term appearance of the franchise. Would preventing an executive from an obviously higher position prevent other executives, scouts, player development personnel, etc from considering the Orioles for fear of similar issues if said person is offered/considered for a higher position?

I think the Red Sox were pretty OK with Epstein leaving.

Much more OK then PA seems to be.

There is also the fact that Duquette has 4 more years on his deal. No one really knows what Epstein's contract was at the time, but it most likely wasn't locked in for that long. And also the fact that DD would be moving to a division rival instead of a different league entirely.

Ken had nothing to say today. So he just plagiarized a real reporter.

First of all, I am not real impressed with Roch as a "real reporter." He rarely has any significant news first.

Second, I am not sure that Roch's prior statement "if it happens, the Orioles will be compensated for it. Those discussions have taken place, according to sources" is the same as what Rosenthal is now stating. Roch may have been alluding to a discussion with the Jays about the fact that the Orioles would require compensation, whereas Rosenthal seems to be suggesting now that talks about specific players have occurred.

Those are two different things. And so it's clear, this is just my possible interpretation/inference drawn from the two statements. Your interpretation also might be correct.

What about the long-term appearance of the franchise. Would preventing an executive from an obviously higher position prevent other executives, scouts, player development personnel, etc from considering the Orioles for fear of similar issues if said person is offered/considered for a higher position?

Very few of these jobs around.

So probably not.

Most scouts and player development types have one year deals anyway.

No, but it might prevent them from signing 6-year extensions.

He's had 43 games above A+, I wouldn't pencil him in for 2015.

Could he be someone that moves Jones over to a corner in a few years?

He had 60 games above A+. 43 between AA & AAA and an additional 17 in the majors. Sure, you don't assume that he is going to be ready to contribute on Opening Day. He did hit well at the upper levels (very small sample size of course) and did hold his own at the majors in an even smaller sample size. There is at least a chance he could stick from the get-go and even a better chance that he might be ready mid-season. You are right that it might be premature to assume he'll be a starting OF in April but it is certainly a possibility.

Why count Cruz if Buck said no he wouldn't be here in 2014. Pearce was all luck now with Dan counting on him in 2015 let's see how that works out.

First off, please learn how to use punctuation and capitalization and type comprehensible sentences. I had to reread this a bunch of times to figure out what you were trying to say. We've cut you some slack on this, but you need to make more of an effort to follow board rules.

Secondly, is this a serious post? You're asking why the GM should get credit for signing a player? Please study up on how baseball front offices work and then get back to me.

This may be naive but:

How did we get from a) no permission to interview Duquette to b) talking about compensation?

I would think that compensation would not be discussed unless the Jays had decided on DD as their man.

I would not think they would decide on DD as their man without an interview.

This would lead me to think the O's granted permission to the Jays to talk to Duquette IF compensation is being discussed.

Is there no other means for interest and responses to get to and from a GM than via direct contact? If, something broke that the Jays may have interest in Dan Duquette and DD got wind of it, would it be tampering if his agent reached out to the Blue Jays? Isn't it only tampering if you can prove that one side had disregard for the contractual status of DD and hence contacted him directly?

My point here is that I do not know the answer to these questions.

What bothers me the most about this situation is that DD would be going to the Jays and may be able to pull trusted and viable Oriole front office people over with him. Anyone who thinks that the Orioles recent successes are not tied to both DD and Buck Showalter may be fooling themselves. For him to go to a division rival is killer. Losing DD would be a blow to the quality of the Orioles depending on the FO target that could now agree to take apposition that is likely a lot more attractive then it was a few years ago.

I am not letting DD walk for nothing, but who wants guy who waned to leave you to stick around and be unhappy with how things played out. If the Orioles get a Pompey that might help, but he went from High A ball to the Majors in 2014. 60 games above High A ball is not a huge sample size. Not sure how you pencil him in the OF in 2015 even if you get him as compensation. Would a top 60-80 type prospect be enough to lose DD to Toronto?

He had 60 games above A+. 43 between AA & AAA and an additional 17 in the majors. Sure, you don't assume that he is going to be ready to contribute on Opening Day. He did hit well at the upper levels (very small sample size of course) and did hold his own at the majors in an even smaller sample size. There is at least a chance he could stick from the get-go and even a better chance that he might be ready mid-season. You are right that it might be premature to assume he'll be a starting OF in April but it is certainly a possibility.

Sorry I was looking at his MiLB stats and didn't see the call up.

I agree that mid-season is possible.

Breaking camp with the team would be very aggressive and set up future service time and arbitration issues.

Put it this way...you have a good job, pick a field, any field. You get an offer for a promotion from another company in direct competition with you. Are you going to:

1. Contribute a bunch of good things to the company you're leaving and put them in even better position to compete with you

2. Ride out the remainder of your time there, skate by on the bare minimum, and save your good ideas/work for the new place

I rest my case. Everyone is doing option 2.

Huge difference between going at one's job half-hearted and sabotaging it.
Second, I am not sure that Roch's prior statement "if it happens, the Orioles will be compensated for it. Those discussions have taken place, according to sources" is the same as what Rosenthal is now stating. Roch may have been alluding to a discussion with the Jays about the fact that the Orioles would require compensation, whereas Rosenthal seems to be suggesting now that talks about specific players have occurred.

Those are two different things. And so it's clear, this is just my possible interpretation/inference drawn from the two statements. Your interpretation also might be correct.

What has Kenny brought to the table other than supposedly the Orioles are now open to the deal?

You keep saying this. Did Rosenthal mention any player names as compensation?

Is weams saying that he has heard that we very well could get both Pompey and Sanchez back as compensation or is this just the drum hat is being beaten? If that is the case then sign me up. Those two guys would make the Orioles a little more enticing in terms of talent in the minors.

Archived