Blue Jays end negotiations for Dan Duquette (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

xian4

2009: Yikes!!!!!

By the way, is it common for organizations to basically whiff on a whole draft? I know the Orioles had a "spectacular fail" in 2001 because of the three first rounders, but that draft ultimately yielded Jim Johnson and even Mike Fontenot played in the majors off-and-on for seven years (with a career OPS+ of 92, not horrible for a middle infielder) and several others made ML rosters, even very recently. It looks like nobody from the O's 2009 draft has even had a cup of coffee in the majors. Any idea if that is unusual, or really unusual?

p.s. I'll dig around on baseball ref and see how other teams look?

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply
By the way, is it common for organizations to basically whiff on a whole draft? I know the Orioles had a "spectacular fail" in 2001 because of the three first rounders, but that draft ultimately yielded Jim Johnson and even Mike Fontenot played in the majors off-and-on for seven years (with a career OPS+ of 92, not horrible for a middle infielder) and several others made ML rosters, even very recently. It looks like nobody from the O's 2009 draft has even had a cup of coffee in the majors. Any idea if that is unusual, or really unusual?

I think #50 has a good chance to make an appearance on a ML roster and I think Givens still has a possible shot. Shame they didn't draft him as a RP.

Just a quick BBref search of 2009:

Angels 7 players reached majors (including Trout)

Astros 5

Athletics 8

Blue Jays 9

Braves 4

Brewers 7

Cardinals 7

I stopped there. Orioles 2009 draft was pretty terrible, but of course we already knew that! :) But it was interesting to see a few comparative numbers.

Archived