Blue Jays end negotiations for Dan Duquette (Beeston re-signs for 2015 season)

xian4

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> have ended negotiations to acquire <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> GM Dan Duquette, according to <a href="https://twitter.com/ShiDavidi">@ShiDavidi</a>. Orioles' asking price was too high. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a></p>— Max Wildstein (@MaxWildstein) <a href="

">January 25, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Negotiations for Dan Duquette are over after the Toronto Blue Jays refused to consider the Baltimore Orioles’ demands for promising right-hander Jeff Hoffman and two other top prospects as compensation for the executive.

A deal between the American League East rivals was at no point close, and it appears a saga that’s lingered since word first leaked on the eve of the winter meetings in December is at last over.

There you go.

Good. Dan can blame Toronto. They didn't think highly enough of him to pay the piper. And the Orioles thought enough of him to not just give him away.
Baltimore Orioles’ demands for promising right-hander Jeff Hoffman and two other top prospects as compensation for the executive.

All he had to do was tell Ed Rogers to do it if he really wanted to go.

And the worst part is all those twitter experts that proclaimed a deal was near will be forgotten.

It went like this.

Dan isn't going.

Dan would be interested in going.

Dan is under contract.

Compensate the Orioles.

Dan, they did not want you.

If the O's could have received a top prospect or two in exchange for Duquette, I'm actually a little upset that this may not happen, especially after reading Roch's article about how the organization would still be "in good hands" if Dan left, not to mention any concerns over his now possibly damaged relationship with Angelos.

But, if the O's were only going to get back a fringe prospect, middle reliever or Dioner Navarro, I'm really glad we can move on.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Well, shoot….just got offered more days. So, I might try and get in a day during the time I’m in Miami, but now I’m looking at being there through the end of the month.
    • Sharkey starts, most likely, at  Aberdeen but could move fast.  Baumler is all about health and just getting some innings.  He should start at Delmarva or Aberdeen and just see if he can make it through the season.  If Baumler was a mid to high 90’s guy I could see converting him to relief and trying to fast track him.  My impression from watching AFL video is that he’s not a power pitcher.
    • Irvin did and the season with a 93 ERA+, which is the same ERA+ that he had his last season in Oakland before we traded for him. However, his ERA+ with us was aided by his relief appearances.  I like Irvin. I actually thought we got too cute with rotating guys in the minors last season and sent Irvin down when he was throwing 95 in short stints out of the pen and dominating. I would like Irvin a lot better as our #6 SP/3rd LH RP, rather than our #5 on OD. 
    • Planning on being there for games on the 16th and 17th.
    • I’m to the point where we don’t need to hit a straight flush with our pitchers. We just need to get something out of them at the MLB level. When we converted Givens back to pitching after a failed SS run, he was in the majors in 1.5 seasons. I’d surely take that type of career from a guy like Baumler. Also, he can always go back to starting in the future.  I would have Baumler, Seth Johnson, and Teddy Sharkey around AA to start this year and hopes that we could turn one into a mlb set up man by the trade deadline. 
    • I know it’s good to keep developing these guys as starters as much as possible. Also, pitching as a starter helps then develop pitches and learn how to get hitters out, but… Seth Johnson is a bit of a different story. He only threw something like 20 innings in all of HS. He was a position player. He pitched only 66 IP in NCAA once his position player career was looking done. TB drafted him in the 1st rd based on projection. Well he’s only thrown 150ish IP in pro ball.  TLDR - This dude has only thrown 235 IP since HS-now. He’s 25.156, maybe it’s time to just scrap starting and try him as a reliever. Apparently he can touch 98 on his FB, with a swing and miss SL. See pic below,  
    • For those who can never have enough hat options, here's another one for your collection. Official League This looks like it would only be available in toddler sizing, but the company specializes in whimsical options for adults.  
  • Popular Contributors