Chris Davis' 2-Run Home Run: Shades of Wilson Betemit

OFFNY

o

Chris Davis' 2-run home run in the 8th inning of today's game reminded me of Wilson Betemit's 2-run home run in the 8th inning against the Red Sox back in May of 2012.

Betemit's home run (like Davis' today), extended a perilous 2-1 Oriole lead to a relatively comfortable 4-1

Here is the game:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201205220.shtml

The circumstances were very similar, except that we were playing at home in the 2012 game.

Also, closer Jimmy Johnson set the Red Sox down in order the very next inning to close out the game ...... just like Zach Britton did today. :cool:

Didnt Davis hit his homer in the 9th inning?

Yes, you're right.

Thanks.

I suck. :o

The similarity between the two was that the Red Sox only had one more inning to tie the games to send them into extra innings (or go ahead and win today.)

Yes, you're right.

Thanks.

I suck. :o

The similarity between the two was that the Red Sox only had one more inning to tie the games to send them into extra innings (or go ahead and win today.)

Nice comparison tho. That 4-1 lead was a really nice cushion.

Is... that a good thing being compared to Wilson Betemit? I guess it's OK from a hitting perspective.

It wasn't so much a comparison between the two players as it was a comparison between the two situations.

For example, if Adam Jones hit a 2-run home run on Opening Day against the Yankees late in the game to give the Orioles a 3-run lead, and some breathing room ...... that might remind me of Cesar Izturis doing that same thing on Opening Day in 2009, but I would not necessarily be insinuating that they are similar/comparable players.

Is ... that a good thing, being compared to Wilson Betemit? I guess it's OK from a hitting perspective.
It wasn't so much a comparison between the two players as it was a comparison between the two situations.

For example, if Adam Jones hit a 2-run home run on Opening Day against the Yankees late in the game to give the Orioles a 3-run lead, and some breathing room ...... that might remind me of Cesar Izturis doing that same thing on Opening Day in 2009, but I would not necessarily be insinuating that they are similar/comparable players.

This is a thread that I started last year in regard to two almost identical situations happening, 43 years apart:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/143461-Adam-Jones-Hustle-Shades-of-Game-Six-of-1971-World-Series

I wasn't necessarily saying the Jones and Robinson were comparable, or that that solitary regular season game was as important and/or as historic as was that 6th game of the 1971 World Series ...... but damned, if that wasn't the first thing that I thought of after Jones did what he did that night.

Archived