Stay Classy, Hank Steinbrenner

Flip217

From ESPN , Steinbrenner supporting Girardi, his players, taking a shot at the Rays and other small market teams, and generally making himself look like a horse's ass...

"I don't want these teams in general to forget who subsidizes a lot of them, and it's the Yankees, the Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets," he said to The New York Post. "I would prefer if teams want to target the Yankees that they at least start giving some of that revenue sharing and luxury tax money back. From an owner's point of view, that's my point."

Can't wait for our first win over the Yankees this season...even if it's our only win of the season, I'll savor every minute.

He's awesome for the print media, online oulets and blogs; however, he's doing himself a disservice by continuously opening his mouth. I wish the man showed some self-restraint and I would have never thought that he would turn out to perhaps be worse than his father, George.

Yankees fans love Hanky because early indications are that the Yankees will resume being the entertaining Bronx Zoo bunch of old once again. Despite all their recent success, they'd evolved into a soulless, corporate bunch that wasn't fun to watch unless you were one of their fans.

Yankee haters love Hanky because the fuel spewing from his big mouth seems sure to result some combustible incidents -particularly with fiery Joe Girardi managing the team- that could ultimately return the pinstripers to state of chaos.

They could either win 110 regular season games and another WS, or implode and miss the playoffs for the first time since 1993. I really believe we're looking at the latter.

They could either win 110 regular season games and another WS, or implode and miss the playoffs for the first time since 1993. I really believe we're looking at the latter.

I agree with your basic point. However, I have always been convinced that the Baseball Gods will not permit them to get a ring as long as they have the best SS in history playing out of position just to protect the ego of Prom Queen Derek...

I agree with your basic point. However, I have always been convinced that the Baseball Gods will not permit them to get a ring as long as they have the best SS in history playing out of position just to protect the ego of Prom Queen Derek...

I agree, and believe Jeter has already won his last ring.

The 2004 ALCS -when NY was three outs from a 4-game sweep over Boston only to lose it- will become more and more of a benchmark over time when people look back on the day the Yankee dynasty died.

Torre's post-season record from 1996 through Game 6 of 2001 WS = 56-21

From Game 7 of the 2001 WS through Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS = 16-13

Since Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS = 4-13

Small sample size issues aside, it's over in the Bronx! Phase IV invloves no playoffs at all.

"There are going to be problems, especially if they go after our stars," Steinbrenner added. "It's not going to be tolerated. We never have done it to them. It's just not going to happen anymore."

Now, more than ever, my modest proposal of a while back stands: the first time Derek Christ steps up to bat at Camden Yards, lay him on his back. Same for Miss Pay-Rod. Let's see what Hamfisted Hank and Jerkin' Joe can do to back up these fightin' words.

Boy, is it time for this again?

Yankee Win Ends Century of Loss

New York Times - November 5, 2099

NEW YORK-The New York Yankees overcame a century of futility last night, defeating the Las Vegas Expos 3-1 to win Game Six, and the World Series four games to two.

Kacy Clemens III gave up one run over seven innings to earn the win, ending a steller rookie season where he won 22 games, the first Yankee to win more then 20 in one season since his great-grandfather Roger Clemens.

All of the Yankees' runs were scored on a three-run home run by Steve Giambi, who had a Yankees-record 65 home runs during the regular season, and added five in 15 playoff games.

This victory broke once and for all the now-famous "Curse of the Moose", named for pitcher Mike Mussina, who signed with the Yankees as a free agent after the fanchise won the 2000 World Series, and who's penchent for failing in important games set the stage for a century of futility by the Yankees franchise.

Mussina came from the Baltimore Orioles as a free agent, considered one of the best pitchers in the game. However, he never lived up to his promise he showed with the Orioles, never winning twenty games in a season or winning a critical playoff game.

After Mussina, Yankees owner George Steinbrenner, great-grandfather of current owner Marcus Steinbrenner, tried in vain to sign stars to regain his past success, neglecting his farm system in the process.

This came to a head in 2007 when the Yankees collapsed to a dead-last finish. That was only the beginning, as the Yankees spent billions over the next century trying to buy the talent they needed to win.

Only the arrival of the younger Steinbrenner ten years ago, along with his plan for development of the farm system, saved the franchise. The drafting of Clemens in the fifth-round three years ago, and his meteoric rise through the minors is just the most recent of successes that include Giambi and third-baseman Glenn Henson, the American League leader in RBI, thirteenth and fifteenth round picks respectively in 2092.

The Yankees have few needs going into the offseason, which they plan to try and fill from within the system now rated the best of all forty franchises in Major League Baseball.

The Yankees will begin their championship defense March 28 in Havana, Cuba, against the Rebeldes, whom they defeated in the ALCS this season and is generally considered the main competition to the Yankees in 2100.

Unfortunately (for those of us who are enjoying this) Rays owner Stu Sternberg took the high road...

“Off the field, we are partners in trying to strengthen and grow the game of baseball,” Sternberg said in a statement released by team president Matt Silverman. “On the field, we expect our teams will compete with energy and passion, and none of us—whether as an owner, a player or a fan—would want it any other way.”

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/sternberg-responds-to-hank/

Archived