Has Buck lost control of the clubhouse (and his senses)?

webbrick2010

Please know that MLB teams book are not open to anyone.

We don't know that those numbers are accurate or what accounting practices are used to determine them. That said, maybe with agreement of all partners to forgo profit. If it is correct, maybe the team could have spent 30 million more. They won't make 30 million this year, no matter what accounting practice are used.

Well the numbers are not just made up. There are plenty of ways to gleam information including but not limited to the nearly yearly leaks that occur. Clearly there is a margin of error, I somehow doubt that it is 30 million though.

PA has every right to spend what he wants. I actually think the payroll is reasonable and is certainly enough to win with. I also think though if we are being honest here, the Orioles are hardly fighting for their survival with the MASN case and they certainly could add payroll if they so chose. Most people who own sports franchises do not do so to turn a profit, they do so as an investment vehicle and a damn fine one at that.

At the end of the day the Orioles did not fail this year because they did not spend enough money, they failed because the money they spent provided poor production. It is equally crazy though in my opinion to insinuate that the Orioles could not spend more if they chose as it is to say that they are cheap. Neither is true.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well the numbers are not just made up. There are plenty of ways to gleam information including but not limited to the nearly yearly leaks that occur. Clearly there is a margin of error, I somehow doubt that it is 30 million though.

PA has every right to spend what he wants. I actually think the payroll is reasonable and is certainly enough to win with. I also think though if we are being honest here, the Orioles are hardly fighting for their survival with the MASN case and they certainly could add payroll if they so chose. Most people who own sports franchises do not do so to turn a profit, they do so as an investment vehicle and a damn fine one at that.

At the end of the day the Orioles did not fail this year because they did not spend enough money, they failed because the money they spent provided poor production. It is equally crazy though in my opinion to insinuate that the Orioles could not spend more if they chose as it is to say that they are cheap. Neither is true.

I don't believe that the Yankees made less than two million. SO yeah, I believe that they are missing something with closed books. To me, I may as well be made up.

I don't believe that the Yankees made less than two million. SO yeah, I believe that they are missing something with closed books. To me, I may as well be made up.

I hear ya.

Think we can both agree though, the problem is not the payroll, it's more than enough to win. The problem this year is the production that they got for their money. Last year that production was great, this year not so much.

Even though it may sound as if I am advocating a higher payroll, I tend to see FA as the least efficient use of resources. If they increased the payroll I would not complain per say but it would not change the fact that they would have to spend it wisely to be successful just like every other team.

I hear ya.

Think we can both agree though, the problem is not the payroll, it's more than enough to win. The problem this year is the production that they got for their money. Last year that production was great, this year not so much.

Even though it may sound as if I am advocating a higher payroll, I tend to see FA as the least efficient use of resources. If they increased the payroll I would not complain per say but it would not change the fact that they would have to spend it wisely to be successful just like every other team.

I agree.

Isn't the issue here ownership?

PA is the majority owner of the Orioles and the majority owner of MASN, right? The Orioles are not owners in any way of MASN. So right now, the more money that Peter can retain and stash in MASN the better for him.

With the Spankmees there must be more gamesmanship, but I doubt very much that the Yankmees own any part of the YES network; but I don't doubt that the owners of the Skankees do own some of YES.

It's all accounting.

Isn't the issue here ownership?

PA is the majority owner of the Orioles and the majority owner of MASN, right? The Orioles are not owners in any way of MASN. So right now, the more money that Peter can retain and stash in MASN the better for him.

With the Spankmees there must be more gamesmanship, but I doubt very much that the Yankmees own any part of the YES network; but I don't doubt that the owners of the Skankees do own some of YES.

It's all accounting.

On Tuesday, the company's television subsidiary, the YES Network, announced it was selling 49 percent of its business in a deal that values the network at $3 billion. That's a lot of scratch for the Yankees and other YES owners. And the numbers get even bigger from here.

According to Bloomberg, the Yankees are now signed with the YES Network through 2042 -- an incredibly long 30-year television contract. The club got $85 million in fees from YES for the current year, and the sale includes a 5 percent increase annually in that rate for 30 years.

That means that by 2042, the club will be making $367 million per year just to have their games shown on TV. At today's salaries for ball players, that's enough to pay the top 16 contracts in baseball -- with enough money left to fill out the roster.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/21/yankees-score-big-with-billion-dollar-tv-deal/

On Tuesday, the company's television subsidiary, the YES Network, announced it was selling 49 percent of its business in a deal that values the network at $3 billion. That's a lot of scratch for the Yankees and other YES owners. And the numbers get even bigger from here.

According to Bloomberg, the Yankees are now signed with the YES Network through 2042 -- an incredibly long 30-year television contract. The club got $85 million in fees from YES for the current year, and the sale includes a 5 percent increase annually in that rate for 30 years.

That means that by 2042, the club will be making $367 million per year just to have their games shown on TV. At today's salaries for ball players, that's enough to pay the top 16 contracts in baseball -- with enough money left to fill out the roster.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/11/21/yankees-score-big-with-billion-dollar-tv-deal/

And you think the bubble will still be there in 2042?

We have already had one company go bankrupt under the weight of broadcasting rights deal.

And you think the bubble will still be there in 2042?

We have already had one company go bankrupt under the weight of broadcasting rights deal.

I do think that it is a Brave New Adventure going forward with Live Sports Rights negotiations. We could well be finding that it is the only type of programming that is worth advertising on. So many things could happen over the next five years.

I do think that it is a Brave New Adventure going forward with Live Sport's Right's negotiations. We could well be finding that it is the only type of programming that is worth advertising on. So many things could happen over then next five years.

As a cord cutter, the only programs I watch live with commercials are sporting events. Everything else I watch when I want and 90% of the time commercial free.

As a cord cutter, the only programs I watch live with commercials are sporting events. Everything else I watch when I want and 90% of the time commercial free.

But, on the other hand, how many folks are paying 6 bucks a month for ESPN or 2 bucks a month for MASN and have no interest in sports?

The value of MASN is the forced subscription.

But, on the other hand, how many folks are paying 6 bucks a month for ESPN or 2 bucks a month for MASN and have no interest in sports?

Right now that is true. More and more cable/entertainment providers are going to have to offer more robust alacarte menus of programming if they want to have any chance whatsoever of surviving. If they do not adjust they will go the way of Blockbuster and fade into oblivion.

Forcing people to pay for programming they don't care about may have worked 15 years ago when there was no other options. Now days though there a ton of options that are cheaper and more diverse. Honestly since getting rid of my cable TV, I have more entertainment options and movie options than I ever had and at a fraction of the cost.

This may soon change. Slowly but will change. People using the computer as a TV and streaming programs on the Internet.

Verizon FIOS will start letting customers opt in -- and out -- of the cable channels they get as part of their pay television service -- the first move by a major provider toward a la carte service.

The bundles include a sports package that includes ESPN and Fox Sports 1, and a second sports package that includes the NFL Network, the MLB Network and 18 regional sports channels that carry the games of local teams. An entertainment package will carry some of the most popular cable networks such as TBS, TNT and USA.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/17/media/verizon-fios/

This may soon change. Slowly but will change. People using the computer as a TV and streaming programs on the Internet.

Verizon FIOS will start letting customers opt in -- and out -- of the cable channels they get as part of their pay television service -- the first move by a major provider toward a la carte service.

The bundles include a sports package that includes ESPN and Fox Sports 1, and a second sports package that includes the NFL Network, the MLB Network and 18 regional sports channels that carry the games of local teams. An entertainment package will carry some of the most popular cable networks such as TBS, TNT and USA.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/04/17/media/verizon-fios/

I have Verizon, I looked at the bundles, it's terrible. It looks more like a way to postpone real ala carte service.

Archived