Early Guesstimate on next year's O's team.

wildcard

I agree that Zach will have rely on his secondary pitches more as a starter. I agree that his velocity will fall some if he pitches 6 innings per game. But in my opinion Zach has learned how to get major league hitters out. He is more mature as a pitcher now then when he was as a starter early in him major league career. I think the more he throws in secondary pitches the better they will get.

Moving Zach to a starter is not my first choice. Re-signing Chen is. But if that does not work then the O's need to replace Chen and Britton is the best choice.

On trading Zach, I am tired of the O's trading pitchers and having them go on to be effective starters like Arrieta and Ed Rod. I would try Zach at starter before trading him.

The difference between Arrieta, Rodriguez and Davies versus trading Britton is that the return would be for the future not for a the short term second half push. I'd only trade him if someone wants to overpay, but I also know that it's likely he'll be deemed too expensive in 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm unclear as to why some people want to trade Britton. He is an effective closer and we do need an effective closer. I would only trade him if the FO decides to blow up the entire team and start from scratch. Which would mean not only trading Britton, but also trading Adam Jones, Manny Machado, and a whole host of others.

The difference between Arrieta, Rodriguez and Davies versus trading Britton is that the return would be for the future not for a the short term second half push. I'd only trade him if someone wants to overpay, but I also know that it's likely he'll be deemed too expensive in 2017.

The O's will not deem Zach too expensive in 2017 if he is a starter. I agree if he is a closer. Whether he gets his chance to start this year or next, to stay with the O's he needs to move to being a starter. The alternative is to trade him next off season IMO. The najor reason to do it earlier is to fill other needs on the 2016 team IMO.

I'm unclear as to why some people want to trade Britton. He is an effective closer and we do need an effective closer. I would only trade him if the FO decides to blow up the entire team and start from scratch. Which would mean not only trading Britton, but also trading Adam Jones, Manny Machado, and a whole host of others.

They need an effective closer, but they probably don't need an effective closer at 3rd year arbitration rates of $10M/year or more. It's not that difficult to find a closer - Britton and Johnson were basically made out of whole cloth, converted starters who were going nowhere in that role. If they can trade Britton for a longer-term, lower-cost player, maybe a regular position player, they could be better off. All depends on the return, obviously.

Trading Britton absolutely doesn't have to signal a blow-it-up rebuild. It would be just part of retooling for competing in the near future.

The O's will not deem Zach too expensive in 2017 if he is a starter. I agree if he is a closer. Whether he gets his chance to start this year or next, to stay with the O's he needs to move to being a starter. The alternative is to trade him next off season IMO. The najor reason to do it earlier is to fill other needs on the 2016 team IMO.

You're assuming that he'll be any good in the role. If he's 8-12, 4.66 he's essentially worth nothing.

You're assuming that he'll be any good in the role. If he's 8-12, 4.66 he's essentially worth nothing.

Why would we assume that a guy who was relegated to the bullpen because of structural shoulder issues would outperform a guy who had just put up a stat line of

W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ FIP WHIP H9 HR9 BB9 SO9 SO/W

15 8 .652 3.65 28 28 0 0 0 0 165.1 149 68 67 20 52 2 139 14 0 3 687 108 4.22 1.216 8.1 1.1 2.8 7.6 2.67

In the AL East.

I have no idea why anyone thinks that Jim Johnson or Zach Britton should start.

It makes for an interesting hypothetical. Would Britton get more in arbitration for 2017 if he puts up that line as a starter or if he puts up a similar 2015 season?

If he's a failed starter. It doesn't make him worthless if he's reverted back to a closer.

Well the team that employees Miller has no reason to turn him into a starter. They'll fill their needs with top end free agents.

I think you should look at who they started this season before you state that again.

Britton will not put up those numbers as a starter because if he doesn't pitch well the will be converted back to a reliever long before that can happen.

Britton will not put up those numbers as a starter because if he doesn't pitch well the will be converted back to a reliever long before that can happen.

I don't think that's true at all. He'd be a starter for 2-3 months unless he was injured or just getting destroyed. If he ended up as a slightly below average starter he's in that role for the season.

Archived