Cardinals Great Lou Brock

Redskins Rick

o

I remember when the news came on in 1974, telling us that he had broken Maury Wills' stolen base record.

I also remember him making a dazzling departure in 1979 at the age of 40. Prior to the season, Brock had announced that 1979 would be his last as a player ...... and then he proceeded to hit .304 to punctuate his career.

The .304 at the age of 40 was amazing, especially considering that he had batted .221 the previous year (1979) at the age of 39, and looked to be finished and just hanging on with nothing left, ala Willie Mays (1972 and 1973) and Hank Aaron (1975 and 1976) in their final two seasons.

I loved watching Brock play. His baserunning was a game-changer during an era where runs were scarce, and yet he also had some nice pop in his bat. His performances in the 1967-68 World Series are indelibly etched in my brain. The idea of Brock without a chunk of one of his legs is hard for me to imagine. I hope that this allows him to live to a ripe old age and doesn't hinder him too much in his everyday life.

I loved watching Brock play. His baserunning was a game-changer during an era where runs were scarce, and yet he also had some nice pop in his bat. His performances in the 1967-68 World Series are indelibly etched in my brain. The idea of Brock without a chunk of one of his legs is hard for me to imagine. I hope that this allows him to live to a ripe old age and doesn't hinder him too much in his everyday life.

Absolutely. I was a fan of those Cardinals teams.

Archived