Offseason Rumors and Deals Around MLB

neveradoubt

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heyward already has a 200 M offer with 3 clubs competing. I still think it will be the LAA. That owner is the king of stupid contracts.

As these contracts escalate beyond predicted levels, the top offensive players increasingly become out of reach for the Orioles. Upton's Virginia roots may give us an edge with him, if he's looking at the O's and another team for the same money. It's also possible, because of his age, that some team will go full frontal stupid and give Upton $21M for 9 years, which I don't think the O's would come close to matching.

I expect the O's to sign Will Venable soon, as a platoon partner for Reimold, Hoes, or the Rule 5 guy. That signing wouldn't preclude re-signing Davis, should he come back into play. Maybe we'll take a shot at Span, once the big money guys are off the table. I hope we don't bring back Parra.

For the DH, we should be in the mix for Alvarado or Carter, once the big money boys are off the board.

112806.jpg

Wahoo Sam Crawford (1880-1968). One of the underrated all time greats. Underrated because nobody outside baseball fans with a penchant for history know of him. Dude was a star though.

Article by Bill Lamberty, SABR

First off, big ups for using the term "smites a baseball". :cool: But because ballparks were so huge then, Crawford ended up hitting the most triples in major league history (309). It is likely that if he played in the integration era he'd have a good shot at 500 HR.

Side note, Crawford was the foil for the man who finished second all time in triples, his teammate Ty Cobb. The two were polar opposites in personality, did not like each other and Cobb eventually stole Crawford's spotlight.

Crawford was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1957 by the Veteran's Committee, one of their very best selections.

I tried to get my kid Sam to embrace the nickname Wahoo Sam, but he was less than enthusiastic. And then I considered that most folks wouldn't get the old ballplayer reference and assume he was a UVA fan, which would be tragic.attachment.php?attachmentid=1347&d=1449836397

I give you... the worst fan base in America!

MLB commissioner Rob Manfred should encourage them to do so. Actually, Manfred should do more than encourage them. He should compile a list of available executives who might be interested in joining the Phillies to oversee what MacPhail and Klentak are doing, to keep them moving in the right, league-approved direction, and to lend the franchise a little more credibility.

The Philly sportswriters are shills. The billionaire owners direct the editors who dictate to the writers their editorial content. Whether it's old school sportswriters like Donnellon, Brookover, or Hayes, or new stat and numbers nerds like Murphy, carpetbagger billionaires decide what Philly sports fans read. Besides, anyone phan remaining on board with the Phillies is probably too loyal to the team to question moronagement. After all, Ruben Amaro crashed and burned the bandwagon long ago. Ideally, our professional sports teams would be considered public trusts. In reality, they are only a part of corporate portfolios. The so called "Fourth Estate" of Sir Edmund Burke, a press independent of Kings, nobility, and commoners, is now a sham.

I offer for your consideration /Serling

Archived