UM President wants to change the name of Byrd Stadium

srock

Fun story, Curly Byrd is my 2nd Great Uncle. My Great grandfather was his brother.

Segregation was awful, but if you're going to take that name off of that building, make sure you're doing it for the right reason. How long before a corporation has their name on that building?

I think the renaming craze that has been going on is getting out of hand. After all think of Washington DC, the Jefferson Memorial, and numerous other historic sites, cities and monuments. Under the criteria now being used you could rename all of them. I just think people should use a little historical perspective.

I think the renaming craze that has been going on is getting out of hand. After all think of Washington DC, the Jefferson Memorial, and numerous other historic sites, cities and monuments. Under the criteria now being used you could rename all of them. I just think people should use a little historical perspective.

I agree. I'm not proud of that one blemish, and it's an awful one, but look at what else he did for UMD. I will be buried in the same section of Asbury Cemetery as him one day. And I'm proud of it.

Archived