Pirates Hire Baseball Prospectus Writer...

sakata_catching

... Dan Fox, as their Director of Baseball Systems Development.

Link. (Scroll to bottom ... or just read the quote, below.)

And Now For Something Completely Different

To be sure, I've had a ball analyzing and writing about baseball over the past two years here at BP, and previously at THT, but, as they say, all good things must come to an end. That isn't because I've run out of topics to explore, but is instead because I will be leaving Baseball Prospectus to join the front office of the Pittsburgh Pirates to become their Director of Baseball Systems Development. In that capacity I'll be assisting the excellent staff--including Kyle Stark, Bryan Minniti, Greg Smith, and Joe Delli Carri, under the direction of General Manager Neal Huntington--in building systems to support and inform the decision-making process of the baseball operations staff. All of those individuals mentioned, and many others, have made me feel more than welcome, and I'm thrilled to start the process of integrating the array of quantitative and qualitative information in a way that makes both even more instructive.

Interesting at the very least, and one of the strongest indications yet that things aren't business as usual in Pittsburgh.

... Dan Fox, as their Director of Baseball Systems Development.

Link. (Scroll to bottom ... or just read the quote, below.)

Interesting at the very least, and one of the strongest indications yet that things aren't business as usual in Pittsburgh.

Maybe not compared with their history, but we've known for a while that their new GM is a huge user of sabermetrics.

Archived